Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Hello to everyone!

I am finally joining up after some lurking and poking around as I have just added new family member of the Red Foot type. He (as he appears to be) is a male Red Foot Tortoise approximately 4 years old.

He is not named yet, but my name is David.

I was expecting a much smaller guy as I must have gotten my facts mixed up. But, I am still, if not more, happily surprised at how amazing he is. (4 inches < 7-8 inches)

I am attaching pictures of him in his new home eating some Mazuri today (day 2). He is still a little shy but I assume he will become more curious as he adjusts to his new home, people, and the landscaping as it becomes more defined. I will be adding more plants, grass, clover and shady areas.

This is all of course going to change again as I will be making a change in my tortoise habitat size significantly since he was a bit larger then I had anticipated!

Obsessed with Ts

David 55

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi David:

Welcome to the Forum!!

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you Yvonne.

I am not seeing my attached images showing up... I hope they catch up soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
David:

I guess our photo software isn't the easiest to use. If it doesn't show up right away, its not going to show up. Most of us use either photobucket.com or tinypic.com. Both are free image hosting sites. You take your pictures from your computer and put them into one of those sites, then you copy/paste the

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I figured as much. I thought perhaps there was a moderation of images as well as my post did not show up for some time as well.

Here they are!

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

He ate half that lot, then went for a nap.
I am very happy he is eating.

Ebillan

5 Year Member
Hello!

I see you're from Ottawa (I'm pretty observant like that), I'm from near Toronto. My sister goes to school in Ottawa, though c:

Nice to meet you!

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Welcome to the forum!

Just wondering, how did he manage to get dirt on the top of his shell.

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
ewam said:
Welcome to the forum!

Just wondering, how did he manage to get dirt on the top of his shell.

He was in his "hide" digging in and I was putting some coco peat on top of it. There is a hole on the top and either he got dirty from digging in or from dirt falling in from the hole.

It was brushed off shortly after!

He is still eating and enjoying some greens right this moment.

D-55

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D :D Hi and welcome to the group! Nice tortoise. :tort:

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I thought he was going to be a shy guy, but it seems like a few pieces of greens and some misting and he's exploring like Chris Columbus. I had some old webcams that I connected so we could watch him and not disturb, and the show is getting quite entertaining!

Maybe I will try and get it live out to the Internet and not just on our local area network.

We got him with a little bit of pyramiding from the previous-previous owner. We hope to keep that in check as it does not seem too bad and he seems to be in otherwise great health. He is quite the peeper/chirper as well and I was worried at first he might have a resp. issues. He is very hungry and very active, so I think he just has a lot to say.

Thanks all for the welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.