Greetings from Ontario, Canada

freddytort

Hello everyone,

My family and I acquired a male Russian tortoise (Freddie) about a year ago. He is now 3 years old.

Freddie.JPG

Recently, I just completed building his 4' x 8' outdoor pen.

Outdoor enclosure.JPG

Outdoor enclosure 2.JPG

I will be looking at adding more plants in the future.

His pen is also deep enough to allow him to dig if he desires to do so...

Until I can lock down his pen, he will spend all day outside and be brought inside at night because too many "critters" that roam the neighborhood at night.

As the end of the summer arrives, so do cool nights.

Out of curiosity, what would be the threshold for evening low temperatures that Russian tortoise endure?

Thanks,

Patrick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Patrick, and welcome to the Forum!

You've done a very nice job on the enclosure.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Patrick, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and handsome Freddie.
(sure you're handsome as well, but Freddie certainly is.)
The enclosure looks super to me, as far as i can tell with my failing eyesight.:)
Make sure Freddie can't dig out , or climb out, Russians are famous escape artists.
Read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of good information, including temps.
in the 60's is okay, as long as he can warm up properly in the morning.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Ah, a fellow Ontarian! Welcome!

That's a great looking enclosure you've built. Many Russian keepers are on this forum that can advise you.

freddytort

Hello, Patrick, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and handsome Freddie.
(sure you're handsome as well, but Freddie certainly is.)
The enclosure looks super to me, as far as i can tell with my failing eyesight.:)
Make sure Freddie can't dig out , or climb out, Russians are famous escape artists.
Read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for lots of good information, including temps.
in the 60's is okay, as long as he can warm up properly in the morning.

Hi Adam,

Freddie can't dig his way out. The enclosure is actually a plywood box 5/8 inch thick. I also made sure that there was enough soil (8"-10" deep in most areas ) in there so that if he decided to dig he wouldn't hit bottom too soon. The interior of the enclosure (white) is a material called drylock. This material was recommended to me by a nearby reptile zoo. It is a water shield that will help prevent the enclosure from rotting and the outside of the enclosure is leftover wood stain. I'm hoping having gone to that extent that the enclosure can last a few years...especially with the extreme weather conditions we're accustomed to in Canada.

As far as Russian escape artists, you're so right about that. When I originally filled the enclosure, one corner had a bit too much dirt. It didn't Freddie too long to figure that out!!

Thanks about the info on temp. I will keep that in mind in the coming weeks...

Regards