Opo's poop

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hey everyone, the last 2 days Opo's poop has been loose and food undigested. Yesterday Opo had dandelion and also yellow squash. So today it was totally loose and little white and yellow chunks.
Sorry if you are reading this while you are eating.

S

SuIcata

Hey everyone, the last 2 days Opo's poop has been loose and food undigested. Yesterday Opo had dandelion and also yellow squash. So today it was totally loose and little white and yellow chunks.
Sorry if you are reading this while you are eating.
I would suggest feeding him only hay and grass for a few days this should harden his poop

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks Opo is not quite 2 yrs old so I haven't tried hay. But I have wheat grass growing.

S

SuIcata

Thanks Opo is not quite 2 yrs old so I haven't tried hay. But I have wheat grass growing.
My small ones also didn't wanted to touch hay but after I had all other food removed and only hay inside they started to eat it after 1 day of hunger [emoji1]

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My small ones also didn't wanted to touch hay but after I had all other food removed and only hay inside they started to eat it after 1 day of hunger [emoji1]
Oh yeah I battled Opo when he was a little brat about eating food I gave Opo and food he wanted. I still do now and then I just leave it till it's eaten. It only takes a half of day till the food is gone.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hey Ray... so has anything been different for Opo? This happened to Toretto while I was out of town 3 days for work. Nothing changed in his food or routine other than me... he was back to normal 2 days after me returning .., ‍♀️

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Ray... so has anything been different for Opo? This happened to Toretto while I was out of town 3 days for work. Nothing changed in his food or routine other than me... he was back to normal 2 days after me returning .., ‍♀️
The only thing that changed was a weed growing outside. That I haven't seen in my yard and Opo took about 3 bites. I am wondering?? Here is a pic of the weed. Meant to post earlier but got busy in the CDR LOL20190209_121221.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Cowboy toilet paper / Mullein... that will do it...

Do not Feed

Common Name: Mullein (Verbascum, Great Mullein, Common Mullein, Aaron's Rod, Cowboy Toilet Paper)
Latin Name: Verbascum spp.
Family Name: Scrophulariaceae
Now cultivated for the garden, Mullein contains rotenone, a natural insecticide, and coumarin, which can be broken down into dicoumarol, an anticoagulant whose derivatives are used in warfarin, so it should not be planted in or near the tortoise enclosure.

Although usually a wild flower, these plants are now often grown in the garden.

Once he clears out, he’ll be ok. Just make sure you get rid of it. I’ve had this happen before too.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Cowboy toilet paper / Mullein... that will do it...

Do not Feed

Common Name: Mullein (Verbascum, Great Mullein, Common Mullein, Aaron's Rod, Cowboy Toilet Paper)
Latin Name: Verbascum spp.
Family Name: Scrophulariaceae
Now cultivated for the garden, Mullein contains rotenone, a natural insecticide, and coumarin, which can be broken down into dicoumarol, an anticoagulant whose derivatives are used in warfarin, so it should not be planted in or near the tortoise enclosure.

Although usually a wild flower, these plants are now often grown in the garden.

Once he clears out, he’ll be ok. Just make sure you get rid of it. I’ve had this happen before too.
I have picture this app but I can't trust it. I headed towards Opo to get to him before he ate it. But like I said Opo took 3 bites and was grazing again.
Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you were seeing could possibly have been urates and not poop. Urates are common and happen frequently.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What you were seeing could possibly have been urates and not poop. Urates are common and happen frequently.
There must have been 200 bb size yellow and white chunks and everything is loose. Even some of the dandelion was not digested. I haven't seen Opo exspell that much urates before.
The first few times I saw urates. I thought maybe Opo was a male.:p

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok today Opo's duty is a little firmer and looks a little firmer. Opo was happy today that after a steady rain for about 24hours a few days ago. Some of his favorite weeds sprouted. Opo was like a kid in a candy store. Hopefully this will help.