Acorn?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Well from a previous thread some of you know I have been worried about Opo's behavior.
Today after 6 days he finally pooped,( definitely constipated)came out of his hide and is walking around like normal.
Checking out his poo I found these totally inside the poo. I squeezed them and they opened. The skin is pliable, I am thinking acorn that the digestive system softened up. I don't have Oak trees or any other nut trees. In the vacant lots next to me there are oak trees. Thinking maybe I squirrel transferred to my yard.
Any thoughts?20211129_142123.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Squirrels are as much litterers as we are. They'll sit in a tree with a nut, pick at it, decide it is not edible, and drop it (and any peels).

Your theory is likely. Acorns are thick with tannins, but a well-hydrated herbivore should be fine. Add pale lettuces to his ration for the next week or two.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Squirrels are as much litterers as we are. They'll sit in a tree with a nut, pick at it, decide it is not edible, and drop it (and any peels).

Your theory is likely. Acorns are thick with tannins, but a well-hydrated herbivore should be fine. Add pale lettuces to his ration for the next week or two.
Thanks, I will load him up on cactus and some pumpkin also.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Well from a previous thread some of you know I have been worried about Opo's behavior.
Today after 6 days he finally pooped,( definitely constipated)came out of his hide and is walking around like normal.
Checking out his poo I found these totally inside the poo. I squeezed them and they opened. The skin is pliable, I am thinking acorn that the digestive system softened up. I don't have Oak trees or any other nut trees. In the vacant lots next to me there are oak trees. Thinking maybe I squirrel transferred to my yard.
Any thoughts?View attachment 336815
From the question mark on the title of the post, it seems you are asking for opinions. They don't look like acorns to me. They look too round and don't seem to have the pointed end of an acorn (from what I can see in your photo). Do you have any bushes or flowering plants which might produce seeds which those might be?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
From the question mark on the title of the post, it seems you are asking for opinions. They don't look like acorns to me. They look too round and don't seem to have the pointed end of an acorn (from what I can see in your photo). Do you have any bushes or flowering plants which might produce seeds which those might be?
Thanks for the reply. I will look in my wife's garden. Sometimes Opo will get thru the barrier and raid the garden. I don't go in that area much because of the incline in the yard. I have to be careful not tipping over in my wheelchair. Now that I think about it. We have some young papaya trees growing in pots behind the shed. I will make sure they are not producing something.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the reply. I will look in my wife's garden. Sometimes Opo will get thru the barrier and raid the garden. I don't go in that area much because of the incline in the yard. I have to be careful not tipping over in my wheelchair. Now that I think about it. We have some young papaya trees growing in pots behind the shed. I will make sure they are not producing something.
My first reaction when looking at the photo was that they were chickpeas (AKA garbanzo beans).

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Any thoughts?View attachment 336815
Did he eat the penny as well?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ok Ray - the jury is still out on the “seed pod”…. Take some more pix if you still have them.
20211130_114826.jpg20211130_114946.jpg
The skins are getting a little more brittle as they dry out. The inside is a brown powder.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Ray--Opo could you perhaps take an image of the oak trees leaves? If its rounded, its a white oak and it can't be an acorn, but if it has pointed leaves it is a red oak and the acorns should look like this20211130_185129_001.jpgScreenshot_20211130-185712_Google.jpg
(Forgot to say red oaks and black oaks leaves are identical, but both acorns are round)

Last edited:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
@Ray--Opo could you perhaps take an image of the oak trees leaves? If its rounded, its a white oak and it can't be an acorn, but if it has pointed leaves it is a red oak and the acorns should look like thisView attachment 336863View attachment 336862
(Forgot to say red oaks and black oaks leaves are identical, but both acorns are round)
This is the closest I could find. I didn't realize there were so many different oaks in Florida.
This one is called a Live Oak.
I cant get in the woods because of my wheelchair. My neighbor has the most common Oak here in Florida. I will retrieve a branch from them and see if there are acorns around.
Screenshot_20211130-122600_Samsung Internet.jpg

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It is indeed an acorn, Screenshot_20211130-195302_Google.jpgScreenshot_20211130-195029_Samsung Internet.jpg
You can see the outer layers resemble that of the pericarp and testa, what gave it away was thisScreenshot_20211130-195419_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20211130-200614_Samsung Internet.jpg20211130_195921_001.jpg
(This is an acorn from my yard, I searched for an example of shape but then I realised it was rotten)
The brown powder gave it away, most acorns undergo a process of stratification, a period of cold in the soil (strata), this takes a season, and there is plenty of time to be eaten by insects or if this process is not succesful, they will rot, this is most likely what the squirrel sensed and the reason why he chucked it.
I can now say with confidence that this is an acorn

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It is indeed an acorn, View attachment 336867View attachment 336868
You can see the outer layers resemble that of the pericarp and testa, what gave it away was thisView attachment 336871View attachment 336872View attachment 336870
(This is an acorn from my yard, I searched for an example of shape but then I realised it was rotten)
The brown powder gave it away, most acorns undergo a process of stratification, a period of cold in the soil (strata), this takes a season, and there is plenty of time to be eaten by insects or if this process is not succesful, they will rot, this is most likely what the squirrel sensed and the reason why he chucked it.
I can now say with confidence that this is an acorn
Thanks for all the research!