Opo is acting unusual

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Opo,s eating has slowed some the past few days. Also Opo does a rapid movement with rear legs making the back side to go side to side. When I soaked Opo today this action was happening. When I put Opo back outside. Opo walked right past the dandelion (Opo's favorite) and went to the hide. While entering the hide Opo started the side to side action again like Opo was trying to scratch the back shell. During Opo's soak the poop looked normal.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
He might be getting to the size of sexual maturity, and is becoming aware of his penis.
Opo is 1.5 years old. 8 in long. Does sexual maturity start affecting them at that age? Hope that's not a dumb question lol

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is one of my Sliders doing the dance

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This is one of my Sliders doing the dance

That's it. I wasn't touching Opo but that's the dance. I read the old thread that Big Charlie sent me and it put me at ease. I was thinking there might have been something stuck in Opo,s poop hole lol

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks Big Charlie read the thread and it put me to rest. Being a new tort owner when things change I get worried. Now I hope I can get you some video footage of the hootchy/kootchy dance.
You're welcome! Charlie does it when I spray his backside with the hose. I can't decide if he likes it or not. Eventually he moves away but not right away.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Same here - if I scratch the back of his shell just right he'll start to wiggle, but like @Big Charlie said I'm not sure if he enjoys it or finds it annoying [emoji16]

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Same here - if I scratch the back of his shell just right he'll start to wiggle, but like @Big Charlie said I'm not sure if he enjoys it or finds it annoying [emoji16]
I am thinking Opo doesn't like it. Before Opo would just sit there when I rubbed down the shell with coconut oil. Today Opo went crazy when I did it. Its weird 4 days ago no dancing. Now goes crazy if you touch the shell.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Opo has me confused. It seems like Opo doesn't like the hootchy cootchy dance but every chance Opo rubs up against something to do it. He has been in the hide for a hr now doing the dance. During Opo's soak and then after I gave Opo a shower. Before Opo just laid there sprawled out now dancing the whole time. Same thing when I rubbed coconut oil on the shell. Outside the bushes were shaking. I knew where Opo was the whole time outside. Opo is obsessed! LOL

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Opo has me confused. It seems like Opo doesn't like the hootchy cootchy dance but every chance Opo rubs up against something to do it. He has been in the hide for a hr now doing the dance. During Opo's soak and then after I gave Opo a shower. Before Opo just laid there sprawled out now dancing the whole time. Same thing when I rubbed coconut oil on the shell. Outside the bushes were shaking. I knew where Opo was the whole time outside. Opo is obsessed! LOL
I think it might be something like when the weather is dry and it makes your skin dry out and get itchy, and you need to use lotion.... Except for a Tortoise. I'm fairly certain my Tortoise and Turtles really enjoy it. There's been a few times I've just stuck my hand down in my Torts enclosure and he walks over to my hand and initiates the back scratches lol.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I think it might be something like when the weather is dry and it makes your skin dry out and get itchy, and you need to use lotion.... Except for a Tortoise. I'm fairly certain my Tortoise and Turtles really enjoy it. There's been a few times I've just stuck my hand down in my Torts enclosure and he walks over to my hand and initiates the back scratches lol.
Yeah I think it's a new sensation for Opo so hopefully Opo will grow out of persisting on doing it. Opo is driving me crazy LOL

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I think Opo danced him/her self to exhaustion. It is almost noon and Opo hasn't come out of the hide. About to check and see if everything is ok. Hate to disturb Opo though.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yeah I think it's a new sensation for Opo so hopefully Opo will grow out of persisting on doing it. Opo is driving me crazy LOL
I know the feeling my water turtles like to do it on the intake of the filter and some nights all I hear is clunk clunk clunk, all night long! Lol

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
LOL is he still in bed? Vlad went back to bed at 11:15 this morning :rolleyes:
Woke Opo up at 12:30 had a nice long soak. Ate a big pile of shredded squash and went back to bed. The life of a tortoise. ;)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Woke Opo up at 12:30 had a nice long soak. Ate a big pile of shredded squash and went back to bed. The life of a tortoise. ;)

Our Sully had breakfast, back in his box for a few hours, came back out for a snack and i found him basking, and now he just finished off some dandelion and it sounds like hes going back for a nap. Yes - rough life.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Our Sully had breakfast, back in his box for a few hours, came back out for a snack and i found him basking, and now he just finished off some dandelion and it sounds like hes going back for a nap. Yes - rough life.
Is Sully outside still? I forget if you bring him in for the colder months [emoji846]