One confused turtle! :-)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Ok, y'all. I am cracking up over here.
My Mississippi mud turtle, Millie, is a total savage when it comes to attacking and eating grubs and earthworms.
I did NOT put mosquito fish in her tank when I first got them, because I figured she'd make short work of them and they wouldn't get a chance to eat the mosquito larvae in her tank.
But now that we have conquered the mosquito infestation, and at least one of the mosquito fish has given birth, I''ve got waaaaay too many fish in the other tank. So today I netted out about 3 of the adults and 5 of the juvenile mosquitofish and transferred them to Millie's tank.

She seems fascinated! The group of juveniles swam right up to her face, and past her nose! She just slowly turned her head and watched as the group of 3 adults swam slowly past her face within easy striking range!!!
It has occurred to me that she has NEVER LIVED WITH FISH before! She was found as a tiny, injured hatchling and has only ever lived alone in her various aquariums.
So she is probably trying to figure out what the heck they are!
I ASSUME that once she's used to them and gets hungry enough, instinct will kick in, and she'll try to grab them.
But I never expected her to just WATCH them, as if she's fascinated by them!!!

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
My razorbacks are very lazy with the mosquito fish. The only time they ever eat them is when the fish spend several seconds floating right in from of them. Or once when I added a lot of frogbit and the fish got stuck in the roots floating at the surface.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Norwich CT
Ok, y'all. I am cracking up over here.
My Mississippi mud turtle, Millie, is a total savage when it comes to attacking and eating grubs and earthworms.
I did NOT put mosquito fish in her tank when I first got them, because I figured she'd make short work of them and they wouldn't get a chance to eat the mosquito larvae in her tank.
But now that we have conquered the mosquito infestation, and at least one of the mosquito fish has given birth, I''ve got waaaaay too many fish in the other tank. So today I netted out about 3 of the adults and 5 of the juvenile mosquitofish and transferred them to Millie's tank.

She seems fascinated! The group of juveniles swam right up to her face, and past her nose! She just slowly turned her head and watched as the group of 3 adults swam slowly past her face within easy striking range!!!
It has occurred to me that she has NEVER LIVED WITH FISH before! She was found as a tiny, injured hatchling and has only ever lived alone in her various aquariums.
So she is probably trying to figure out what the heck they are!
I ASSUME that once she's used to them and gets hungry enough, instinct will kick in, and she'll try to grab them.
But I never expected her to just WATCH them, as if she's fascinated by them!!!
Never a dull moment in your neck of the woods…