MOSQUITOOOOOOOES!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Well, I have a new found respect for how tough mosquitoes are.
Ever since 10/15 I have left the cheese cloth (3 layers thick) taped onto Nelson's tank, figuring I'd starve out the mosquitoes. There are currently a bunch of dead, crumpled up mosquitoes stuck in the cheese cloth, but I STILL see LIVE mosquitoes after 10 DAYS of them being trapped in there!
Nelson never basks (he has no basking ramp since the infestation anyway) so I'm pretty certain they can't be feeding off him.
I feed Nelson and the mosquito fish (they don't eat adult mosquitoes or pupae, and I don't see any more larvae) by folding back the top 2 layers of cheese cloth, teasing apart some of the threads of the bottom-most layer to make a hole, and dropping the food in.
I am HOPING that by this weekend (!!!!) I'll be able to uncover the tank.
It needs some serious work.
Wish me luck!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@Moozillion sounds like the mosquitoes are a real problem. Mosquito larvae are excellent sources of protein, and most people only feed it to their fish if they want them to breed. (In tropical aquariums) More protein for fish=More breeding. Perhaps you should try and similate the guppies or mosquito breeding conditions (if it is close to your turtle or aquariums current conditions)?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
@Moozillion sounds like the mosquitoes are a real problem. Mosquito larvae are excellent sources of protein, and most people only feed it to their fish if they want them to breed. (In tropical aquariums) More protein for fish=More breeding. Perhaps you should try and similate the guppies or mosquito breeding conditions (if it is close to your turtle or aquariums current conditions)?
I'm not sure how to do that. I intend to totally redo the tank with significantly improved filtration and addition of plants. I may install a spray bar (down near the water surface) to keep the water agitated to discourage future mosquitoes!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I'm not sure how to do that. I intend to totally redo the tank with significantly improved filtration and addition of plants. I may install a spray bar (down near the water surface) to keep the water agitated to discourage future mosquitoes!
No disrespect, but I’m thinking my money may be on the mosquitoes…?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Ok: so far, so good!
Yesterday I managed to work on Nelson’s tank while it’s still covered to confine the remaining mosquitoes.
I disconnected and cleaned the filter with no problems?
I put a large sponge over the tank intake to prevent it sucking up the fry. Of course, that required un-taping that section of cheesecloth so I could reach in, and we had 3-4 escapees.
i also siphoned out about 20% of the water and replaced it; there were a few more escapees then.
But I’m SO relieved to be able to do a water change and clean the filter! I don’t know if Nelson and the fish feel better, but I sure do! ?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Ok: so far, so good!
Yesterday I managed to work on Nelson’s tank while it’s still covered to confine the remaining mosquitoes.
I disconnected and cleaned the filter with no problems?
I put a large sponge over the tank intake to prevent it sucking up the fry. Of course, that required un-taping that section of cheesecloth so I could reach in, and we had 3-4 escapees.
i also siphoned out about 20% of the water and replaced it; there were a few more escapees then.
But I’m SO relieved to be able to do a water change and clean the filter! I don’t know if Nelson and the fish feel better, but I sure do! ?

Gee...What will you do with all your spare time if you're giving up this new hobby?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Gee...What will you do with all your spare time if you're giving up this new
Gee...What will you do with all your spare time if you're giving up this new hobby?
Truth be known, I’m not sure how long I can keep this up. I got my tortoise in 2012, and have been keeping aquatic turtles since 2015. My tortoise is 1,000% easier to keep than the aquatics. The arthritis in my hands makes fiddling with the filters, hoses and things difficult and sometimes painful. Without my hubby, I couldn’t do it at all. If I can’t do a better job of keeping my tanks clean, I will rehome Nelson and Millie.:-(
I have to think about their welfare. I don’t want to be a “Debbie Downer,” but I’m very frustrated right now.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I, Moozillion, on this first day of November, officially declare VICTORY OVER THE DREADED MOSQUITOES!!!!!!! I took the cheese cloth off Nelson's tank, and there were NO survivors amongst the mosquito invaders!!!!!! :cool:

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED about mosquito infestations in in-home aquariums:
1) Draining and cleaning the infested tank will get rid of them (but tank inhabitants have to be temporarily housed elsewhere)
2) Cover a badly infested tank with cheese cloth or flexible window screen, and leave it there for 2+ weeks to starve the mosquitoes to death and prevent any escapees from RETURNING to the tank to lay eggs agin. The tank inhabitants can stay for this method, but it makes feeding them and doing water changes a little tricky.
3) Being really DILIGENT about tank care can limit infestation in the first place. Depending on the situation (hurricanes etc) mosquitoes may still try to set up shop, but they're noticeable sooner when regular tank care schedule is maintained.

Live and learn. ((( SIGH )))