OMG! Tulsa Zoo - Aldabra Heaven!

goody30

Oh yes, I have seen quite a few Aldabras for sale that goes back to the Tulsa zoo. Fo some reason though, that just seems wrong for a zoo to be producing babies to be sold to the public, hmmm. Great pics btw.

Tulsa Zoo does not sell their Aldabras to private individuals. A private person owns Kadabra and he sells his share of her offspring into the pet trade, which is why they are occasionally for sale. I'm sure he markets them as "zoo bred" for the clout, which you can't blame him for.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I understand that. It still seems wrong to me. Like I said, I'm still on the ledge about it, it just seems wrong. Zoo, usually are one of the first to say that most, if not all of their animals should only be in Zoos, or the like, but yet, they are willing to breed for more then they can keep and will split that clutch with someone they k ow are selling to the same public, the Zoo doesn't think should have them. It just seems wrong and like I also said, never what I thought a Zoo would do.

goody30

~ Mini, any luck on those female pictures! :D
Yes, I understand that. It still seems wrong to me. Like I said, I'm still on the ledge about it, it just seems wrong. Zoo, usually are one of the first to say that most, if not all of their animals should only be in Zoos, or the like, but yet, they are willing to breed for more then they can keep and will split that clutch with someone they k ow are selling to the same public, the Zoo doesn't think should have them. It just seems wrong and like I also said, never what I thought a Zoo would do.

I'm sure there are zoos and individuals who think that way but not all zoos are against private people having exotic pets. There are certain animals (big cats, for example) that are never a good idea to keep at home, but tortoises aren't really on any zoo's "don't let people have them" radar. In fact, if it wasn't for private breeders, the spider tortoises of Madagascar wouldn't have much breeding representation in the U.S.. Believe me, zoos know this. I'm not sure where you picked up the vibe that zoos don't want private people to own exotic pets but it's not what I'd consider the majority. Most zookeepers have exotic pets (usually herps) at home. Also, not every zoo deals with the public in regard to loan animals. This one goes back about 20 years and probably wouldn't happen today at this facility.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not against private breeders. Still think it's not right for a Zoo. Maybe they all do it. I just can't imagine the ones near me selling me or splitting their Galopagoes with me. Maybe I should ask, oops, they are way too young yet:D