OMG! Tulsa Zoo - Aldabra Heaven!

Mini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood
20141018_093817.jpg 20141018_091850.jpg 20141018_090636.jpg 20141018_090632.jpg I went to the Tulsa Zoo, Saturday, October 18th and met with one of the people that take care of the 5 adult torts. Big Al, 120 years old, 380 pounds. Dozer, 28, brother Mo, 28... sexy girls Kadabra, age 30 and Tofi age 33.
They have the most incredible house, a/c in the summer, heated concrete flooring via hot water pipes, lots of double insulated windows, indoor pond and sand box. OMG amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
~ Any chance you have photos of the girls, they have produced hatchlings over the last several years?
I think I do have pics of the girls. Will search... one of them belongs to a private owner, she is on loan to the zoo. She has produced many eggs sucessfully.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh yes, I have seen quite a few Aldabras for sale that goes back to the Tulsa zoo. Fo some reason though, that just seems wrong for a zoo to be producing babies to be sold to the public, hmmm. Great pics btw.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, little closer look at the pics and the other things in them, not just the torts, did I see a TV in the cement enclosure? I like the hay feeders too, although I don't like that they are above the sand substrate.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I think I do have pics of the girls. Will search... one of them belongs to a private owner, she is on loan to the zoo. She has produced many eggs sucessfully.

~ Yes, Bob Clark. That would be great if you could post them!

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Oh yes, I have seen quite a few Aldabras for sale that goes back to the Tulsa zoo. Fo some reason though, that just seems wrong for a zoo to be producing babies to be sold to the public, hmmm. Great pics btw.
the offspring are not available to public. Only approved licensed vendors and licensed individuals for preservation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
the offspring are not available to public. Only approved licensed vendors and licensed individuals for preservation.

That's what they say, except they are sold all over the place to however will pay their price. I have seen them on Kingsnake I think and fauna for sure for sale. Not by the zoo themselves but by Bob Clark and others who will mention they were born at the Tulsa Zoo. I guy in illinois even had one once for sale that was from the Tulsa Zoo.
I just don't really think a Zoo should be breeding and selling them to anyone other then another zoo. I don't know, I am kinda on the ropes with this. Not sure if I agree with it. Not what I,had always believed about Zoos. But then again, since being on this forum and learning all the bad care Zoos actually give, I guess most things I thought about a Zoo is not true.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
FYI the selling them for preservation to brokers and venders is like not being able to sell a tortoise or turtle in this country under 4". It's a joke.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
the offspring are not available to public.

~ From what i understand, the male belongs to the Zoo and the female to Bob Clark, they split the hatchlings. I know of several that have them and they have been producing for years!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the hay feeder idea.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with selling babies that are produced at a zoo. They need to get $$ from wherever they can (in my opinion)

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Okay, little closer look at the pics and the other things in them, not just the torts, did I see a TV in the cement enclosure? I like the hay feeders too, although I don't like that they are above the sand substrate.
I think what you are seeing as a TV is really just a small window. There is one at each end of that wall, but I could be wrong (maybe their favorite show is TMNT)

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
That's what they say, except they are sold all over the place to however will pay their price. I have seen them on Kingsnake I think and fauna for sure for sale. Not by the zoo themselves but by Bob Clark and others who will mention they were born at the Tulsa Zoo. I guy in illinois even had one once for sale that was from the Tulsa Zoo.
I just don't really think a Zoo should be breeding and selling them to anyone other then another zoo. I don't know, I am kinda on the ropes with this. Not sure if I agree with it. Not what I,had always believed about Zoos. But then again, since being on this forum and learning all the bad care Zoos actually give, I guess most things I thought about a Zoo is not true.
The Tulsa zoo, has to give royalties to the female on loan there. He sells the hatchlings at will. The Tulsa zoo can not sell to an unlicensed individual. I did ask about that.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
There is no tv... that is a glass window... but they do have several survilance cameras.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
I think what you are seeing as a TV is really just a small window. There is one at each end of that wall, but I could be wrong (maybe their favorite show is TMNT)
Yes... lots of big windows and 2 small windows.

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
~ From what i understand, the male belongs to the Zoo and the female to Bob Clark, they split the hatchlings. I know of several that have them and they have been producing for years!
You are correct!

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Yes...

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
I love the hay feeder idea.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with selling babies that are produced at a zoo. They need to get $$ from wherever they can (in my opinion)
I love the hay feeder too... Off to Tractor Supply to get one!