Brand new to the forum and tortoises

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
there seems to be alot of russians on craigslist and they are great I hear. You can arrange a roadtrip to ohio and get them...

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
there seems to be alot of russians on craigslist and they are great I hear. You can arrange a roadtrip to ohio and get them...
Whether you decide to get a hatchling or an adult is purely up to you. Speaking just for myself I'm glad I got an adult. I could handle a hatchling now probably but not at first because I knew nothing about tortoises. It also depends on what type of tortoise you can get up there. I have a Russian and I think she is wonderful. Not shy, tough as nails, eats whatever I give her, very active. Russians definitely do not do well in pairs, 01 mail to two or three female group might work but might not. They are scrappy little tortoises. I've heard one person on here call them a miniature sulcata as far as personality goes. That being said, I would prefer the smaller Russian.
Sulcatas are very destructive. Redfoot and box turtles can do okay in groups. Again not pairs. Both of them require more humidity, and box turtles eat more protein.