OK, NOW I'M FREAKEN OUT...HELP ME B4 I ROYALLY MESS UP PLEASEEEEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
Ok.....I finally got my dream tort hatchling, a cute leopard tortoise I named Miss. Josie, I've read everything I can possibly read and I thought I was doing good until I read this posted by ShellyTurtleTort

"Hello all,

I recently rescued a Sulcata baby from a family that knew absolutely nothing about taking care of them. The baby is in pretty poor shape! The baby is 3" exactly; has a very soft shell, <---Miss Josie also has a soft shell....she should be about 3 months now but she feels very soft almost rubbery....when should her shell get stiffer???

So, yesterday he saw his first bout of sunshine, had grass and cactus but is reluctant to really do much besides stay in one spot. <----and that's exactly what Miss. Josie is doing, the first day she walked all over her new enclosure but hasn't been that active since. :( what am I doing wrong

I have a feeling he won't make it but I am pushing for the little guy!" <---since I read Shelly's post that's how I feel about poor MISS JOSIE. PLEASEEEEE HELP!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376004576.757050.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376004590.023800.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376004612.640787.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376004633.440367.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376004646.074166.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lots of sunshine with shade and care taken they don't over heat. Temps no lower then 80, basking 95+ and humidity of 80% you can't get that in an open top enclosure. As for not moving around, you have to give them some time to adjust. Are they eating? Drinking? How often are you soaking in warm water?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
looks too dry. read the sulcata section and how to raise hatchlings.. it pertains to leaopards as well. and be sure to keep them separate..
Liquid calcium added to their soaks, and sunshine. Good variety for diet, humidity, and warm.
I would change out the bark for something more like soil. Its hard for babies to walk on, does not hold moisture, and has splinters.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your enclosure will need some work, but let's start with the some basic points first.

It looks like he is set up in your garage in an open enclosure with no heating elements...what the temperatures throughout the day and during the night and how are you measuring those temperatures?

Are you getting your tortoise outside at all, or is he in this enclosure at all times?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to keep the substrate moist. Have you done anything to the wood of the tort table to protect it from moisture? Instead of changing out all the bark, you can just add some soil over the top of it. Mix it in or not, doesn't matter. But quite a bit of soil. This will help to keep the humidity up. Like Laura, I'm not a big fan of bark.

Your light fixture isn't big enough. If you are using a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) to provide heat AND UVB, the UVB needs a large sized "bell" fixture to help dissipate some of the heat build-up inside the bell.

dar64

5 Year Member
I've been very worried for months now and wondering if I shouldn't be based on this description. I've gone over this with the forum before. Two of them still have give on the bottom and a little more in some spots it seems. They are still eating very well and active.I'm still confused about putting them outside in the Arizona temps even with shaded area but I feel like they need it. Should I put them out ?I have tried everything else. One thing I haven't done is put liquid calcium in their soaks. I might try that.

Tom said:
Where did you get Josie and how was she started before coming to you?

The plastron should have some give to it. About like a plastic butter tub lid. It should not feel rubbery.

Read this and see if it sounds familiar: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-23493.html

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
Calm down your doing your best :) just take all the advice your being given here...I was just like you when I got my hatchling always worrying and basically losing sleep over my little guy ...just remember that hatchling sleep a lot and aren't very active in general. My guy used to sleep 15 hours a day for months when I first got him. You seem like a great concerned tortoise owner and that alone is a wonderful thing. Stay positive and don't try and do to much ...most of the time just providing proper temps, humidity, food , soaks is all you need to do and just leave the little one to adjust and prosper. Goodluck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.