Redfoot underweight?

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Ok I'm getting concerned and wanted some advice if anyone can help me ;) If you don't know I have 3 baby redfoots, Raymond who is over a year old who is 7.7oz, I have Lizzy who will be a year next month who is 5.2oz and Josie my youngest about 7 months old at 5.4oz.

They have been doing great together and all eating well until recently Lizzy my 2nd oldest was not eating very much so I thought it was because of Josie my bully cherryhead so now I only feed Lizzy and Raymond my 2 oldest together and I feed Josie separate and all has been going well and Lizzy is eating more. The only thing is I feel Lizzy should weigh much more being she is much older and my youngest weighs more then she does?

I offer butterworms, Raymond will actually "beg" for them and Josie is starting to enjoy them but Lizzy won't touch them, she will only eat tuna as protein or some chicken, Lizzy likes a little Mazuri and fruit but not so much lettuce and greens anymore.

is this normal?? Should she weigh more? is there anything I should be doing for Lizzy to make her gain weight? My enclosure is fine, due to upgrade in the spring, temps are high 80's on one side, lower 80's on the other, lots of hiding places, humidity 82-85% They all seem to eat a lot but not Lizzy so much. They have all had fecals that came back neg in the last 6 months and nothing has changed? Any suggestions?

crabby-J

Michigan
SOOOOOOOOO....after trying to feed Lizzy strawberries, radicchio, mixed greens, yellow squash, mushrooms, tuna and butterworms she decided to take a small bite of eeach and then walk away....so I offered mazuri....BINGO So I only feed that stuff like once a week as a treat sorta thing because they eat EVERYTHING else so well....well miss princess only wants to eat mazuri now for some odd reason!!!!! My other torts were happy with the variety tonight I must say....anyone else have this issue with ONE tortoise in their "herd" ?

crabby-J

Michigan
Ok I'm getting concerned and wanted some advice if anyone can help me ;) If you don't know I have 3 baby redfoots, Raymond who is over a year old who is 7.7oz, I have Lizzy who will be a year next month who is 5.2oz and Josie my youngest about 7 months old at 5.4oz.

They have been doing great together and all eating well until recently Lizzy my 2nd oldest was not eating very much so I thought it was because of Josie my bully cherryhead so now I only feed Lizzy and Raymond my 2 oldest together and I feed Josie separate and all has been going well and Lizzy is eating more. The only thing is I feel Lizzy should weigh much more being she is much older and my youngest weighs more then she does?

I offer butterworms, Raymond will actually "beg" for them and Josie is starting to enjoy them but Lizzy won't touch them, she will only eat tuna as protein or some chicken, Lizzy likes a little Mazuri and fruit but not so much lettuce and greens anymore.

is this normal?? Should she weigh more? is there anything I should be doing for Lizzy to make her gain weight? My enclosure is fine, due to upgrade in the spring, temps are high 80's on one side, lower 80's on the other, lots of hiding places, humidity 82-85% They all seem to eat a lot but not Lizzy so much. They have all had fecals that came back neg in the last 6 months and nothing has changed? Any suggestions?

They are all pretty much the same size, I don't really measure them, Ray is a little bigger than the other 2 being the oldest most hungry..lol

crabby-J

Michigan
Lizzy gained 1 gram though since yesterday..she is at 5.3oz now

Kori5

My Hermann wanted to eat only tomatoe for a long period. I finally got him into eating weeds. They get addicted :). That gram you are talking about is real weight. You have to weight her every week to see gain. It depends on hidration ( they get a few grams after soak), urinating and poop ( if they are empty they weight less).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have 3 juvenile reds, all 20 months old.
Victor= 5.3" and 16.2oz
Peaches= 4.75" and 11.7oz
Little foot= 3.9" and 7.1oz.

They grow at different rates. My smallest one has only just recently started to come out of her shell more, like coming up to us in a morning. I've seen no bullying at all.
I don't feed mazuri at all, redfoots can eat a wide range of natural foods. Are you leaving access to cuttlefish constantly. My temps and humidity seem identical to yours. I only bathe once a week. Not saying you should do that. It's just what I do. Mine seem to be fit and healthy, growing at a steady pace.
Do you feed weeds at all. Mine get weeds virtually every day. What are you feeding for protein?

crabby-J

Michigan
I have 3 juvenile reds, all 20 months old.
Victor= 5.3" and 16.2oz
Peaches= 4.75" and 11.7oz
Little foot= 3.9" and 7.1oz.

They grow at different rates. My smallest one has only just recently started to come out of her shell more, like coming up to us in a morning. I've seen no bullying at all.
I don't feed mazuri at all, redfoots can eat a wide range of natural foods. Are you leaving access to cuttlefish constantly. My temps and humidity seem identical to yours. I only bathe once a week. Not saying you should do that. It's just what I do. Mine seem to be fit and healthy, growing at a steady pace.
Do you feed weeds at all. Mine get weeds virtually every day. What are you feeding for protein?

I've been doing everything right since I've had them all this is something new, If I don't feed the mazuri Lizzy won't eat at all :( I'm getting frustrated and don't want all of them to be eating that stuff. Lizzy always had a big appetite for everything I've always fed it's all of sudden, every day she takes a few bites and goes to hide or sleep while my other 2 chow down :p I just don't understand

crabby-J

Michigan
When I bathe them they all want out of the pan I soak them in and they get stressed out so I don't do it that much anymore, seems more stressful then good. They do sit in the large ceramic water saucer I have in the enclosure though

crabby-J

Michigan
Lizzy was always pretty outgoing and feisty until just recently, I don't get what changed? they are so small still to seem to have any issues behavioral wise but I have no idea, I don't see them bully each other, they all seem to be good. I don't understand what would make Lizzy not want to eat anymore as I've been feeding the same variety of food as I always have in moderation

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Lizzy was always pretty outgoing and feisty until just recently, I don't get what changed? they are so small still to seem to have any issues behavioral wise but I have no idea, I don't see them bully each other, they all seem to be good. I don't understand what would make Lizzy not want to eat anymore as I've been feeding the same variety of food as I always have in moderation
You need to weigh them so you can monitor their weight gain or loss. When you bathe them, bathe them separately. Also try feeding Lizzy after a bath on her own.
If she is only eating mazuri, stop feeding it. Same goes for anything they get addicted to. I've not had that problem. When I feed fruit for example, I don't feed enough fruit that it fills them up, this way if they mop up all the fruit first they then move on to what's left. If there was too much fruit in front of them they would pig out and go to sleep.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just re read your posts. Is Lizzy holding back until your other 2 finish chowing down. Try 2 seperate feeding areas at the same time and see if Lizzy changes.

crabby-J

Michigan
I just re read your posts. Is Lizzy holding back until your other 2 finish chowing down. Try 2 seperate feeding areas at the same time and see if Lizzy changes.

I tried that but she still would not eat, she's just weird I think, she ate great with them yesterday and I leave the bowl down until bed time, I just think she does not have the appetite my other 2 tortoises have, I'm still keeping on eye on her, they just moved into a much larger enclosure so that seems to help with personal space and feeding

crabby-J

Michigan
So Lizzy has been eating better but still no weight gain, I still feel like there is something going on if my other 2 are gaining and she is not, she will be a year in a few days and only weighs 5.3oz :( I don't understand, my oldest is over a year and a few months and is 7.9oz, the youngest is 5.5oz

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So Lizzy has been eating better but still no weight gain, I still feel like there is something going on if my other 2 are gaining and she is not, she will be a year in a few days and only weighs 5.3oz :( I don't understand, my oldest is over a year and a few months and is 7.9oz, the youngest is 5.5oz
I just looked at my records, and my smallest juvenile at 1yr old was 4.7oz(134g). At 20months she is now 7.1oz.

crabby-J

Michigan
I just looked at my records, and my smallest juvenile at 1yr old was 4.7oz(134g). At 20months she is now 7.1oz.

Thank you for all your help (with all my questions) :) Lizzy's birthday is today (1st) and she is 5.6oz now :) She had a warm birthday soak and a brunch and dinner :)