SOFT shell I think; HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sardis, MS
Ok my baby sulcata that was lost in shipping for 7 days is not doing so good. He is eating but since the first day I got him he has become less active. He does still move about, just not as much. My question is: Is it normal for his shell to move inwards a little bit? He is just a baby and I read that sometimes it will move a little. The other one I have; her shell moves a tiny bit in the middle and she is 2-3 months older than he is. I asked a question about his health last week but did not get much feedback. Please help me so that I know what to do. I know if it is a soft shell he will more than likely not make it. I just need to know how soft is too soft? Thanks in advance

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Remember hatchlings are born with a soft shell, so they can fit in the egg, you will have to determine if he started with a soft shell, normal, or if he had a hard shelll and it is now going soft.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
dmmj said:
Remember hatchlings are born with a soft shell, so they can fit in the egg, you will have to determine if he started with a soft shell, normal, or if he had a hard shelll and it is now going soft.

I am really not sure. I just got them 2 weeks ago and did not think to check. IMO I think it is just because they are young. One is 5 months and the other is 3. How do you determine if a shell is truly soft? How easy is it to push in?
Thanks for your help BTW :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
In the wild they can still be flexible for several years they should just give a little, like squeezing a tennis ball maybe, I would wait and see if it gets worse, or if it starts to improve, calcium and sunlight will help harden it up, if it is just normal baby softness.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
dmmj said:
In the wild they can still be flexible for several years they should just give a little, like squeezing a tennis ball maybe, I would wait and see if it gets worse, or if it starts to improve, calcium and sunlight will help harden it up, if it is just normal baby softness.
Ok thanks for your help. It does kinda feel like the strength it would take to squeeze a tennis ball. Im gonna keep an eye on it.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Time will tell! I wouldn't worry too much about it, shimly. Good luck with your babies :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
So many die in the wild cause they get eaten, I don't think having a soft shell has much to do with it.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Once they reach a certain size carnivores like lions and hyenas cant crack the shell. Up until that size its all up to darwinism.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Just read your other thread. Like Tom mentioned, your new Sulcata definately got dehydrated when he was lost for 7 days. This will do damage to his liver and kidneys. This will make it harder to process the 3 things needed to grow bones (calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D3). You will need to give a calcium supplement at each feeding and use a liquid vitamin (I use Vitasol for birds) once a day in the water you soak him in. This should help pick him up and get him doing better. It will though take a bit more work to keep him doing well and growing like he should.

Danny

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Well I dont think he is getting any better. I hardly ever see him move. Im not sure if its normal activity level for him. Will it do any good if I take him to the vet for his soft shell. I keep reading that people take them and they still dont make it. What should I do?

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Hi Meredith---Sorry to hear that your little one is still having some problems. If you have put all the suggestions given,into place and have been CONSISTANT--- then it probablly is time for a Vet visit. When I got my Mortimer, the first thing I did was make an appt. with the Vet. He "looked" fine and was very active. Brought a stool sample which was [-] for parisites--eyes were clear and bright--and except for some mild pyramiding--he seemed very healthy--- until the Vet picked him up. His shell was a bit soft[more than it should have been]. Morty was my first tortoise---I knew nothing. The Vet had me do " liquid calcium" baths, once a day for two weeks-- and then we went back for a re-check. BIG improvement in the condition of the shell. At that point, we also added more calcium-rich greens, increased the temps[just a bit higher than they had been] and added outside "sun-time" to 1 1/2 hours, at least, 4 days a week[weather permitting]. You hadn't mentioned peeing/pooping activity. Try to get a sample to bring to the Vet---and please take your little one to the Vet soon. JMO

ekm5015

5 Year Member
I would take him to the vet. My little guy was suffering similar condition and it turned out to be worms. The worms were taking a lot of his nutrtion away leading to a softening shell. I'm not saying this is whats wrong with your, but its possible. The vet also gave a liquid calcium supplement to help harden the shell. Good luck!

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Annieski said:
Hi Meredith---Sorry to hear that your little one is still having some problems. If you have put all the suggestions given,into place and have been CONSISTANT--- then it probablly is time for a Vet visit. When I got my Mortimer, the first thing I did was make an appt. with the Vet. He "looked" fine and was very active. Brought a stool sample which was [-] for parisites--eyes were clear and bright--and except for some mild pyramiding--he seemed very healthy--- until the Vet picked him up. His shell was a bit soft[more than it should have been]. Morty was my first tortoise---I knew nothing. The Vet had me do " liquid calcium" baths, once a day for two weeks-- and then we went back for a re-check. BIG improvement in the condition of the shell. At that point, we also added more calcium-rich greens, increased the temps[just a bit higher than they had been] and added outside "sun-time" to 1 1/2 hours, at least, 4 days a week[weather permitting]. You hadn't mentioned peeing/pooping activity. Try to get a sample to bring to the Vet---and please take your little one to the Vet soon. JMO
Thanks for your help. He is not active like when I first got him. When I got him out of his shipping box he was all over the place. It may have been because it was a new place. I have tryed everything since my last post. He is out in the sun more than 1.5 hours though. Also I never see him poop. And he hardly eats compared to the one that is older. I am going to just take him to the vet.

ekm5015 said:
I would take him to the vet. My little guy was suffering similar condition and it turned out to be worms. The worms were taking a lot of his nutrtion away leading to a softening shell. I'm not saying this is whats wrong with your, but its possible. The vet also gave a liquid calcium supplement to help harden the shell. Good luck!

Yeah I think that is what I am going to do. I sadly doubt that it is parasites. I think since he was lost in shipping for 7 days he is finally seeing the effects. :(

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Well I got sad news :( My little fella didnt make it. I had a vet visit for him Monday. I still have my older one and hes doing great. RIP little man.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
So sorry for your loss, you did everything you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.