Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry, Meredith! This is a hard thing for you to have to go through, but you gave him a good life, and did the best you could for him. We all learn through experiences like this. Even though it was hard for you, I want you to know that we all appreciate your sharing the information with us.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Thank you all. I really miss him. He was the one that would let me play with him :( He was sooo sweet. Im still trying to work on the older one. Do ya'll know what I can do with the older one to get him/her more comfortable with me?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The silver lining is that we all learned from your experience. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Try letting your older one get a little hungry by cutting back on his food for a few days and then hand feeding him for a while. It won't work as well, if he's not hungry, so don't even try it until he's ben cut back for a while. Just reduce the amount of food a little each day and you'll start to see a bit more eagerness to interact with the food goddess. Don't worry, he won't starve to death.

BTW, its just a guess, but the behavior you describe is more typical of females. Don't know if that matters to you.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Tom said:
The silver lining is that we all learned from your experience. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Try letting your older one get a little hungry by cutting back on his food for a few days and then hand feeding him for a while. It won't work as well, if he's not hungry, so don't even try it until he's ben cut back for a while. Just reduce the amount of food a little each day and you'll start to see a bit more eagerness to interact with the food goddess. Don't worry, he won't starve to death.

BTW, its just a guess, but the behavior you describe is more typical of females. Don't know if that matters to you.

I think I will try that. He/she sure is a pig IMO. lol I have been putting pumpkin on my finger and she likes to bite it off and will downright chase me down for it. She really does remind me of a female. I don’t know what it is that makes me think that?? She may be timid because someone else owned her before me and the breeder got her back after she found out the kid was not treating her right. There is no telling what he did.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them just are that way. The kid might not have done anything. My Delores was always that way and still is. She acts more like a Leopard tortoise! HA HA.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am hoping someone will do something about him being "lost" for 7 days as there is no doubt in my mind that is what caused your little one's death. I am sorry that happened to you.

Now for your other one, I handle all my babies every day. I just pick them up and rub the back of their neck and rub their legs and feet and try to play with them some. I put them on my chest and let them walk around and smell me and just get used to me. I do it every day, it seems to work as all my tortoises are friendly and outgoing, especially Bob who is my biggest at 80 pounds.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
maggie3fan said:
I am hoping someone will do something about him being "lost" for 7 days as there is no doubt in my mind that is what caused your little one's death. I am sorry that happened to you.

Now for your other one, I handle all my babies every day. I just pick them up and rub the back of their neck and rub their legs and feet and try to play with them some. I put them on my chest and let them walk around and smell me and just get used to me. I do it every day, it seems to work as all my tortoises are friendly and outgoing, especially Bob who is my biggest at 80 pounds.

The lady I got him from has not emailed me back. I cant believe it happened; he was such a sweet little guy.

I have been interacting with her everyday. She is slowly coming around. I love her or him (I think its a girl :p) so I named her luv bug. She has such a cute little personality.

Tom said:
Some of them just are that way. The kid might not have done anything. My Delores was always that way and still is. She acts more like a Leopard tortoise! HA HA.

She is getting better. :) The lady I got her from told me the kid did not treat her right so I am guessing that may have something to do with why she is shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.