Oil Filled Radiant Heater Issue

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
most likely 15 amp. the 'holes' tell you which type of outlet you have. 2 vertical and round ground is 15. if one hole looks like a sideways "T", its 20 amp.

arc fault breakers are more important than 20 amp outlets. and don't use cheap plug strips
This is only a newer outlet that will have the horizontal with the vertical. There is a outlet with only the horizontal on one side that guarantees 20 ampIMG_0252.jpeg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
This is only a newer outlet that will have the horizontal with the vertical. There is a outlet with only the horizontal on one side that guarantees 20 ampView attachment 366361

no. 20 amp outlets (receptacles) are made to accept 15 or 20 amp plugs. 20 amp will have a 'T' on one side. "T" and vertical = 120v 20a. "T" and horizontal = 240v 20a

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I can not risk fire so never use 15 amp breakers because to many of mine and others including @Yvonne G in the pic have had them burn. I can not explain WHY this is but it is a guarantee if using high wattage devices. This is not only with 1500 watt devices but will happen with 1000 watt high power devices (ie Lights and especially electric motors like fans). @Yvonne G, when they upgraded your panel you most likely had Zinsco panel and Breakers, I currently have this now. There is NO way to re wire your outlets without tearing apart your house. So you most likely still have the 15 amp original wire. The solar electrician could have put a 20 amp breaker on that wire though.
As the question still is unanswered, Why 15 amp outlets that are going to fail are allowed ... I am still going to keep putting in outlets I know are not going to fail ... This was the reason for the original post. Almost all of these heaters have a warranty on the actual product materials, parts and workmanship for only 1 year. If I performed work that was only expected to be fail free for 1 year It would not be considered to be GOOD work.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I can not risk fire so never use 15 amp breakers because to many of mine and others including @Yvonne G in the pic have had them burn. I can not explain WHY this is but it is a guarantee if using high wattage devices. This is not only with 1500 watt devices but will happen with 1000 watt high power devices (ie Lights and especially electric motors like fans). @Yvonne G, when they upgraded your panel you most likely had Zinsco panel and Breakers, I currently have this now. There is NO way to re wire your outlets without tearing apart your house. So you most likely still have the 15 amp original wire. The solar electrician could have put a 20 amp breaker on that wire though.
As the question still is unanswered, Why 15 amp outlets that are going to fail are allowed ... I am still going to keep putting in outlets I know are not going to fail ... This was the reason for the original post. Almost all of these heaters have a warranty on the actual product materials, parts and workmanship for only 1 year. If I performed work that was only expected to be fail free for 1 year It would not be considered to be GOOD work.

if theres a concern or uncertainty, 15 amp breakers should be the go to. wire in walls should be at least 14 gauge, 15 amp outlets, 15 amp breakers. everything matches.

15 amp outlets shouldn't fail more than 20 amp outlets. 1500 watts, even on 14 gauge wire, isn't getting hot enough to cause a fire. might be a little warm.

So because enough times I have melted a surge protector rated for 15 amps, Burned a wall outlet rated for 15 amps, and Burned the cord on an Oil filled radiator that says 1500 watts which is less than 15 amps when we realized we needed to turn this Guest House into a Tortoise House I ran new 10 gauge wire with new 20 amp outlets in each room.

This 10 gauge wire is connected to an arc fault breaker?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For those of us non technical people, how do we know what kind of outlets we have? Like I ASSUME my house has what is appropriate because there have been renovations in recent years, but what should I look for?
Screenshot_20240211-135357.pngScreenshot_20240211-135323.png
The first pic is 20 amp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you don't want to worry about using a 1500 watt oil filled portable heater at full power here is what I have in my tortoise shed since 2014 and for 3 years at my old place in the tortoise shed.
10 gauge wiring in the sheds
30 amp breaker
20 amp outlets

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you don't want to worry about using a 1500 watt oil filled portable heater at full power here is what I have in my tortoise shed since 2014 and for 3 years at my old place in the tortoise shed.
30 amp breaker
20 amp outlets

somehow thats worse than anything thats been said so far, and 100% against code unless theres a 20 amp fuse or breaker between the 30 amp breaker and 20 amp outlets.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
30 amp breaker
20 amp outlets
Hell Yes ... this is what I am talking about
somehow thats worse than anything thats been said so far, and 100% against code unless theres a 20 amp fuse or breaker between the 30 amp breaker and 20 amp outlets.
How many electrical wiring projects have you done? Or is this google we're talking to?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
In the winter time, in my area there is at least 1 fire a week from space heaters....according to my local fire department, so this is a real issue. And before you say the heat is causing the fire, most are electrical not combustion fires.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

How many electrical wiring projects have you done? Or is this google we're talking to?

hahahaha

of course you think something blatantly wrong is somehow good. if 15 amp outlets are so bad on 20 amp circuits, then how are 20 amp better on 30 amp circuits?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca

Did not mean this as an attack but have you done any electrical wiring? Have you ever crawled under a house to re-wire something?
So as for your question ... I would only be for this setup with electrical devices with a high inrush of power such as electrical motors do. A well pump may require only 2500-3500 watts but on initial startup need up to 10,000 watts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, but again, I have had this for years now and never had a fire or burnt outlet or burnt plug and run full power on my heater 24/7. Proof is right there.
What you are saying is missing, stops any electrical problem in the shed from shooting back into the house and causing a problem there. But there is no problem so it doesn't matter.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
1 more thing before I go Full Get S^&T Done mode.....
Okay, but again, I have had this for years now and never had a fire or burnt outlet or burnt plug and run full power on my heater 24/7. Proof is right there.
What you are saying is missing, stops any electrical problem in the shed from shooting back into the house and causing a problem there. But there is no problem so it doesn't matter.
Yes this is just what I was going to say ... maybe ....
Any time I am running power further than 50 feet from breaker (This means actual wire length not physical length) I up (lower actually) the gauge. Such as not use 10 gauge for 30 amp need but up it to 8 gauge so I know I will avoid "Heat" issues within the wire itself. It takes power to get power and that process causes heat, ALWAYS ... it is just a matter of how much heat. If you want to avoid this in wiring, overkill is the only way to go. This is an answer to your question about 15 amp on 20 vs. 20 on 30 @jaizei. This is why I ask about your "real world" experience vs. google. A 15 amp outlet can let up to 20 amps go through it for small (micro seconds) without tripping, burning or any other problem. But a 15 amp outlet can not handle the heat that 20 amps outlets can ... the actual outlet. So using 15 amp outlets with high draw devices is a no no in my world, using a 20 amp outlet with a 30 amp breaker doesn't mean more heat.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
1 more thing before I go Full Get S^&T Done mode.....

Yes this is just what I was going to say ... maybe ....
Any time I am running power further than 50 feet from breaker (This means actual wire length not physical length) I up (lower actually) the gauge. Such as not use 10 gauge for 30 amp need but up it to 8 gauge so I know I will avoid "Heat" issues within the wire itself. It takes power to get power and that process causes heat, ALWAYS ... it is just a matter of how much heat. If you want to avoid this in wiring, overkill is the only way to go. This is an answer to your question about 15 amp on 20 vs. 20 on 30 @jaizei. This is why I ask about your "real world" experience vs. google. A 15 amp outlet can let up to 20 amps go through it for small (micro seconds) without tripping, burning or any other problem. But a 15 amp outlet can not handle the heat that 20 amps outlets can ... the actual outlet. So using 15 amp outlets with high draw devices is a no no in my world, using a 20 amp outlet with a 30 amp breaker doesn't mean more heat.

overkill isn't required if you understand what needs to be done.

startup/inrush current is factored when choosing breakers for motors. heaters don't have that type of inrush.

the 'heat' you're talking about isn't melting receptacles or causing fires. high current highlights problems faster. loose connections, old/faulty outlets or damaged cords/plugs.

a normally operating 15 amp breaker will typically let 20 amps through without tripping for 1-3 minutes, not microseconds. It's known because that is the nature of most common breakers. so that 20 amp receptacle on a 30 amp breaker could potentially have 40-50 amps for 1-3 minutes before tripping. makes it much more likely that any extension cord or plug strip used could be overloaded.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
overkill isn't required if you understand what needs to be done.

startup/inrush current is factored when choosing breakers for motors. heaters don't have that type of inrush.

the 'heat' you're talking about isn't melting receptacles or causing fires. high current highlights problems faster. loose connections, old/faulty outlets or damaged cords/plugs.

a normally operating 15 amp breaker will typically let 20 amps through without tripping for 1-3 minutes, not microseconds. It's known because that is the nature of most common breakers. so that 20 amp receptacle on a 30 amp breaker could potentially have 40-50 amps for 1-3 minutes before tripping. makes it much more likely that any extension cord or plug strip used could be overloaded.
Never suppose to use the heaters this thread is about on extension cords or strips. That's a big fire hazard! Thermostats that are big enough to run the wattage of the heater is fine.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
most likely 15 amp. the 'holes' tell you which type of outlet you have. 2 vertical and round ground is 15. if one hole looks like a sideways "T", its 20 amp.

arc fault breakers are more important than 20 amp outlets. and don't use cheap plug strips
Oooo thank you, very helpful!

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Ok guys, I'm like super lost with all the posts. I'm in the planning stage on building my guys outside area. I'm going to build Tom's 4x8 and divide it for two. How the heck am I supposed to heat it if you aren't supposed to use extension cords?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok guys, I'm like super lost with all the posts. I'm in the planning stage on building my guys outside area. I'm going to build Tom's 4x8 and divide it for two. How the heck am I supposed to heat it if you aren't supposed to use extension cords?
The 1500 watt is the only ones I have used. That size is not to get used on an extension cord
The smaller ones, I have no idea but I doubt that they are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At the time I worried the house had aluminum wire, but (I think it was Jaizei) assured me it wasn't.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You can buy ground contact Romex cable and make your own extension cord. 14 gauge solid wire should suffice for what you need. Or buy a 12 gauge extension cord. The last ground contact Romex I bought had a yellow protection cover instead of the normal white cover. The reason for getting a heavier wire extension cord is because they are braided wire not solid copper like the Romex.