Now that you have a Sulcata...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
What are the few things you wish you had known about them, or their care?

We are getting closer and closer to actually getting one. We've been admiring them for a couple of years and feel like we've got a solid hold on what it will entail, and how we need to be prepared. I just joined this forum and cannot wait to read more! Any and all advice, tips, or concerns are welcome! :)

moswen

5 Year Member
lol i just got mine less than a month ago, and i wish i had known how ADORABLE they are and how much time i was going to spend just watching them be adorable!!!!!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Have you taken the 'sulcata challenge' yet?

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
What is the 'sulcata challenge'? I want to be as prepared as possible!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
1. They are an outdoor pet after a few years.
2. They NEED sunshine! As much as possible.
3. They can eat more than you think possible.
4. And then poop it all out. My 30-40 pounders make bigger piles than my great danes. No joke. Bigger diameter too.
5. Babies need humidity. This is new info. Only come out in the last couple of years. You won't see it on most websites, care sheets and books. Very important part of preventing pyramiding. I think its the entire solution, but to be fair many other very experienced keepers think it is only part of the solution. No one really knows for sure yet.
6. They have more personality than you can imagine and they are all different.
7. When it comes to enclosures, go big. REAL BIG. Indoors or out.
8. Soak hatchlings 5-7 times a week. Less for bigger ones. This is debatable, but it works for me.
9. Realize that how we each keep them depends on a lot of factors. Climate, current weather, space, housing situation, etc... This is the main reason for conflicting info. Each person is probably right for their situation. What works in New Orleans might not work so well in the CA desert.
10. Actual real weeds and grass are the best food for them. Its free and really easy to get depending on where you live. Variety is important so look at all the lists you can find for what's good for them. Its somewhat of an adventure to identify and check toxicity on your local weeds. Look into cactus and some tree leaves too.

More later got to go back to work.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have only had rescued sulcatas, but I think what I hear most often from people who buy a very young one is, "I wish I didn't spend so much money housing this small tortoise because in no time at all I'm having to spend more money to upgrade and make it bigger."

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
They scratch their enclosures, ALOT. Their head in the corners and clawing and making noises. They 'trump'...alot. They LOVE to dig. They eat ALOT too! Mine tort is only 1 yrs and from what I've read here theres gonna be ALOT more of everything! But I just love my little guy, ALOT!

You have to read Maggies posts on 'Bob'.....He's one of our favorite BIG sulcatas.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I did read the Sulcata Challenge! Just did not realize what its title was....I love all this misc. info, keep it coming please. Oh is there a list of requirements for a tort table? I can find pictures, but not a list of "must haves"

chadk

10 Year Member!
How old of a sullie are you looking to get?

Read this if you might get a baby:
http://www.sulcata-station.org/pdf/hatchfail.pdf

A good substrate is a must. Something they can dig and burrow in. A good temp gradient is a must. So they can thermoregulate. I like a hide on the warm and cool end as well. Something snug, dark, with substrate inside.

Substrate that can by dry but not too dusty on the surface, but moist as you dig down.

Plenty of room for exercise.

Easy to clean, especially water dish. Water dish should be shallow and easy to get in and out. Healthy leafy green diet, high fiber, low protien, low sugar, grasses, weeds, hay.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Heating in the winter can be a challenge.. we have changed thier houses a few times! and it costs$$$ a lot to do so. Mine are all rescues.. there are so many in need,, there is no need to buy.. buying babies only encourages the breeders to make more..
They live so long, that a baby will out live most of us!

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
Some things I wish I had know sooner, for my hatchling (if you adopt an adult that lives outside, you can ignore me, as it probably won't be relevant)...

I definitely wish I had spent time reading the enclosures forum. The only things I saved from my first investment was a light holder and the water dish. When I rebuilt after a month, it cost me 1/4 of what I initially spent, and I made a MUCH better indoor home. To elaborate...

Some care sheets recommend various things for substrate, but you find out later most of it is bad for one reason or another. Stick to cypress mulch, orchid bark, or topsoil. I retired coconut coir, which was listed first on the care sheet, after a mild case of impaction.

Don't buy a compact fluorescent UVB bulb. Lots of issues with them. Spend the extra money to get a good bulb. T-Rex 100w is what everyone recommends.

Don't get an aquarium. For much less money, you can get a big plastic under-bed coat box, which provides a lot more roaming room, and better air flow. In a few months, I'll probably retire my coat box and build a tortoise table. The best enclosures are wide, long, and short.

If you have a cat, cat proof the basking spot! Took me a few days to discover what was causing the 'holes' in the dirt. Cat paws landing in soft soil after a high jump. My cat was jumping into the enclosure to lay under the basking light and drink from the tortoises water dish. Thankfully, my cat is old and very docile, since my cat ignored the tortoise, which was trying to climb across the cat. My cat knows better now, and the cat no longer has any access if I'm not present.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Laura said:
Mine are all rescues.. there are so many in need,, there is no need to buy.. buying babies only encourages the breeders to make more..
They live so long, that a baby will out live most of us!

I've been having this debate with myself and family for quite some time. I'm anti breeding of most critters. But also leary of taking on a rescue who may already have many problems, before I'm as knowledgable as I need to be. In theory, starting with a young tort, will give us the chance to do it right. Thereby gaining the knowledge, to take on others with health problems in need of rescuing.
I'm not sure which road we will take, but we are looking at rescues too. I know that going through a good rescue will provide us with a great support system!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
They get big!! I've rescued sulcatas for a long time now, but only ever kept one big male. He is about 80 lbs. I have a large backyard with a heated shed for the winter. So far he has dug a hole under my house (which isn't a big deal to me since my house is pier and beam), he dug under his shed, he mated with my wheel barrow, and he busted a perfect sulcata shaped hole through my chain link fence. I have since made adjustments to stop this behavior.

For the most part he is awesome! He can be a little annoying when I'm working in the yard. Anything I try to build he tries to knock it down, I don't know why he does that. He's constantly under my feet :O).

If you are getting a large sulcata, be prepared for these kinds of things. If you're getting a baby, be prepared in about 6 or 7 years to have a large space for them with lots of grass. Here are some pictures of mine and my back yard.

My backyard which he has full access to.
100_1109.jpg

A burrow I made him last year
100_1353.jpg

Mookah
100_1192.jpg

He's good for giving rides to young children. :O)
100_1213.jpg

If this video link works, then this is him four years ago at half his size chasing me while mowing the lawn.

-Matt

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Oh my gosh Matt, too funny! You were cutting down all the eats, he was trying to get you to stop!

The reason we did not snatch one up years ago is the size issue. Until we knew we could handle a big one we did not want to do it. Now we are confident that we can provide good outdoor space for one (or two...or...) We are of the mind that any animal you take on, you give them everything they need and,you take them on for life. All of our family member agree to take on our menagerie, should it be necessary. I'll put together a sig soon, and post pics of the existing "zoo" in another thread!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
pugsandkids said:
I've been having this debate with myself and family for quite some time. I'm anti breeding of most critters. But also leary of taking on a rescue who may already have many problems, before I'm as knowledgable as I need to be. In theory, starting with a young tort, will give us the chance to do it right. Thereby gaining the knowledge, to take on others with health problems in need of rescuing.
I'm not sure which road we will take, but we are looking at rescues too. I know that going through a good rescue will provide us with a great support system!

You are "anti breeding" of most critters?

Would you prefer that we removed them from the wild in large numbers? Or should we just not have them in captivity at all?

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
pugsandkids said:

Would you prefer that we removed them from the wild in large numbers? Or should we just not have them in captivity at all?

Sorry, I'll clarify! Dogs, and cats, there are so many who need good homes. Why make more? Unless you show, ensure the well being of all you help to create, and are improving the breed. Large parrots, they are meant to be out in the wild, flying and being birds. Not stuck in cages, even the most well intentioned bird keeper cannot keep them in "ideal" conditions.
I'm absolutely against removing animals from the wild. I realize that a balance must be struck here. I'm not militant, just cautious and try to keep in mind what the impact of my actions will be on the world around us.

I realize that I'm not cut and dry, but that means I'm always interested in hearing both sides!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
pugsandkids said:
Tom said:
pugsandkids said:

Sorry, I'll clarify! Dogs, and cats, there are so many who need good homes. Why make more? Unless you show, ensure the well being of all you help to create, and are improving the breed. Large parrots, they are meant to be out in the wild, flying and being birds. Not stuck in cages, even the most well intentioned bird keeper cannot keep them in "ideal" conditions.
I'm absolutely against removing animals from the wild. I realize that a balance must be struck here. I'm not militant, just cautious and try to keep in mind what the impact of my actions will be on the world around us.

I realize that I'm not cut and dry, but that means I'm always interested in hearing both sides!

Thanks for the clarification. Domestics are certainly a different story and a whole different debate. When it comes to exotic reptiles, I'm all for captive breeding.

The bird thing is a mixed bag for me. I do see both sides, but I'm not ready to stop it just yet. Most of them are very well care for and have a great happy life.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Long Island is unfortunately a long ways from the west coast!
I do keep, as pets, a Quaker parrot, and a LSC2 (Cockatoo). I even take my birds outside on leashes! I feel so bad for them when they have to stay inside their cages, or when they vocalize at that wrong moment and have to be covered. I love them though and know that I'm straddling the fence, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.