baby sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassandra_nicole

5 Year Member
i have a baby sulcata hes about 6 months old and will not eat anything but romaine lettuce! I've put other things in his cage like strawberries other kinds of lettuce and he refuses to eat them. He seems pretty healthy and is always walking around it just concerns me his diet is so small. any tips on getting him to try new foods?

Attachments

• tonka.jpeg
    tonka.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 37

Urtle

5 Year Member
Their diet should consist of mainly grasses and weeds. If you want to shift her diet to this, the best way is to mix what she is eating now with what she is supposed to be eating. Take a portion of romaine lettuce, add some grasses and weeds to it and finely chop it down to bits (I use regular scissors). Start off with maybe 90% lettuce and 10% grasses and weeds. This way each bite of lettuce she takes will be covered with nutritious goods that she wont be able to avoid. Feel it out. You can slowly change the ratios. Also I would avoid feeding any fruits they are full of sugar thats not needed in their diet. There are many factors that can affect their behavior and eating habits, you want to make sure everything is setup right. I recommend reading Toms threads on how to raise sulcata hatchlings they are posted in the stickies in the previous page. It would also be helpful if you can provide us with her enclosure conditions. Temps (cool side and warm side), humidity levels, and such... Im sure others will provide their inputs very soon!

TinyTheSulcata

5 Year Member
also try mazuri food. soak it till its mush, and then paste it on romaine lettuce and let him chow down!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
TinyTheSulcata said:
also try mazuri food. soak it till its mush, and then paste it on romaine lettuce and let him chow down!

Actually if your going to use the Mazuri, paste it on the better stuff, not just the romaine

Status
Not open for further replies.