Balcony as an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Hi Friends,

Cedar and I will be moving to Jacksonville, Fl in about 2 weeks and I’m trying to get everything ready for him in the new environment (he has currently been in North Carolina).

I’m moving into an apartment and it has a great size balcony for him but my only concern is that it is completely screened in. Is he going to get enough sun light through the screen or will I still need to provide a UV light for him?

I plan on keeping him on the balcony while I’m at work during the day and then in his tank at night.

Any suggestions on making a balcony tortoise friendly would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and for any advice/answers.

Mallorie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What is the railing like? You might need to put up a board around the edge to keep him away from the railing. A board border will also keep the substrate from escaping the railing.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
What is the railing like? You might need to put up a board around the edge to keep him away from the railing. A board border will also keep the substrate from escaping the railing.

There is no holes in the railing and the screen goes completely to the floor. I am worried about him trying to climb the screen so i was considering the boards or blocking it with plants to prevent him from climbing.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Boards 15" high around the base would be a great idea as they do climb so well.
I think dense screen can block out UVB. On the positive side, sounds like he will be safe from predators!

Mallykc

5 Year Member
How can i tell if the screen is blocking out UVB? Is there a way to tell? Or should I just keep a UVB bulb in his tank to be safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh...you mean you're going to place him in a tank on the balconey? I thought you meant you were going to give him the balconey as a habitat. That would be much nicer, and a lot bigger than a tank.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think the balcony is screened in, so we are concerned about UVB passing through. At least it will be larger than a tort table, and fresh air.
Mallorie, is the screening on your future balcony like regular window screen? can it be opened to let some direct sun in?
If not, I think dense screen like window screen blocks a lot of UVB, is that correct, Yvonne? So she would need a UVB set up on her balcony to supplement?
Lynne

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think a balcony during the day hours is great.....there are uv proof screening.g (usually the uv proof screening is a dark, near black color screening and is usually used in areas with high and long exposure areas like Arizona, Nevada, California desert areas...regular material grade screening will allow uv rays (reason furniture near unprotected windows lightens ) I would also make sure that there is drainage on the balcony in the event of rain while you are not home as well as the board border and perhaps some type of d'oh le check the enclosure for areas that predators can gain access and address this potential spots... and I would thin leaving the uvray light on for awoke when you bring him back inside to his tank to make sure ample uv....just in my opinion ....

Sorry for the typos...using my stupid smartphone :D

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Hi Thanks for all the responses.
I plan on keeping him on the balcony during the day and bringing him inside my apartment at night to sleep in his tank. I plan to give him free range of the balcony. It's on the 3rd floor so no snakes or anything would be able to get him and its completely screened in so no birds would be able to get him either. The screen is just a typical gray/light black color and there is no way to open it and the apartment company wont let me take it down.
I wont need any lamps outside correct? Florida is usually pretty warm and humid. Just a lamp for the tank inside (possibly UVB and ceramic heater for night).

Thanks again for all your help. I wanna make sure i figure it all out before i move him there.

emysemys said:
Oh...you mean you're going to place him in a tank on the balconey? I thought you meant you were going to give him the balconey as a habitat. That would be much nicer, and a lot bigger than a tank.

Hopefully he'll only be in the tank at night. The tank will be inside my apartment not on the balcony. Sorry for the confusion. He will have the entire balcony during the day as his habitat.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
I'm in Jacksonville and have used a 3rd floor balcony as an enclosure. It was screened like yours. I put up boards and plants along the edge to keep the tort from trying to climb/walk through the screen. I also tossed dirt and mulch down on the floor for substrate and when we moved I just swept it up and used the shop vac on it and your could not tell at all. The only thing you have to worry about is when they do work on the building. I had a friend here with a large tub on their balcony for their turtle and the complex decided to repaint the building and did not give prior notice and my friends turtle did not survive. This is rare though, most places will tell you in advice of any work they plan to do on the building.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
typical screening is sufficient to allow proper absorption of uv rays, ive been in fl for almost 4 years now with a similar setup.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Thanks so much guys. Zesty_17 and CJSTorts do either of you use a UVB lamp or do you feel like your little guy gets enough by being on your balcony?

I feeling much better about this idea now that i see others have done the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.