Driving Cross-Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I will be moving from San Diego to Miami later this month and driving my 2 Russian tortoises across the country. I'm guessing it will take me about 5 days. I've read that it's best to enclose them in a small dark container, maybe twice the size of the tortoise? Is this accurate? Will I need some sort of heating mechanism this time of year? I suppose I should have something to warm them if I'm running the AC. Should I be trying to soak or feed along the way? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Patrick

josh21

5 Year Member
I have done that trip from San Diego to Florida to Delaware it's pretty cool. Your going to have fun

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Can anyone add to this? I've just completed day 2 of my 5-6 day trip. I'm using small dark containers with paper towels for transport. I also have hand warmers to keep them warm, though its pretty warm right now and I'm keeping them out of the ac breeze. Should I be feeding them during this trip? I've read that people don't but it seems to long to go with out feeding. I m soaking every morning before heading out. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm in Fort Stockton, TX on my way to Miami.

Thanks!

Patrick

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if they are active and warm enough, then you can feed them, but its prob best to let them be quiet and not feed them. If they eat and cant digest it, they can get sick. the move will be stressfull for them.
So unless you are setting them up with lights and heat at night to make it seem like day time.. Id wait till you get settled.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
One is actively trying to get out. Is it better to set up lights at night for a couple of hours and feed?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
When I drove my babies back from ID to AZ they were very active. They didn't eat though. I did keep them in there habitat and plugged in their heating element when I stopped at the hotels and offered food water. I did soak them too. My thinking was to keep close to their routine as possible.. It seemed to work well. Just my two cents..

Status
Not open for further replies.