Night box/heated shelter

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
View attachment 137895

I was looking at this one. Does seem kind of easy I just don't think I could get mine as flush. I don't need it too big. I think 2'x3' would work. I have 1.2 redfoots now. I guess I need to find a handyman and show him that thread.
I had a dog house for my torts like that one and it rotted and fell apart in less than a year. The materials are very cheap. Try a plastic one if you want a pre made house

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a dog house for my torts like that one and it rotted and fell apart in less than a year. The materials are very cheap. Try a plastic one if you want a pre made house
Yes. But most folks don't live in such a warm place.
most owners need heavy insulation, etc.
I'm also a doghouse guy....And also in Florida.

Reactions: Tom

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Tom's and Heather's night boxes are fantastic, but there's one problem with them - they are not available to purchase ready made! :( (op's question)

I am a bit surprised that nobody on this forum has started a business building good quality, shippable night boxes. Maybe a knock down version for easier shipping. :tort:

I'd buy it.

mike thornton

Kauai
The bigger the box the more heat you will need to keep it warm I have a box 18" cubed with a 60w Che on a thermostat I also have a separate thermometer with probe in the box both sensors at the level of the top of my torts shell with my temp set to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and it holds nicely so far with out obstructing the door I will do some clear flaps in the winter if it gets too cold the mini oil radiator is cool and a great idea

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Here is my 4x2x2 heated tort house. I literally went through Tom's thread and wrote down the steps and my notes. I made my own dimensions, figured out my supplies and got to work. I used a circular saw? It's hand held and a circle spinning blade. I used a drill and...well that's it I think.

Caulked all cracks, painted the outside, laid sticky vinyl flooring on the inside and ta-da!
@Team Gomberg, is this method of heating still working well for you? I'm very interested in the size of that heater and the type. This is next weekend's project and it's my favorite heating method this far. I love the Kane Mats and other methods Tom uses, but that's a lot of money for my one tortoise in a 2x4 box. I'm just trying to extend her outside time as long as possible. I'd love a full shed to put her in, but I just bought this house a few months ago so my budget is tight. Any details you have would be wonderful!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
@Team Gomberg, is this method of heating still working well for you? I'm very interested in the size of that heater and the type. This is next weekend's project and it's my favorite heating method this far. I love the Kane Mats and other methods Tom uses, but that's a lot of money for my one tortoise in a 2x4 box. I'm just trying to extend her outside time as long as possible. I'd love a full shed to put her in, but I just bought this house a few months ago so my budget is tight. Any details you have would be wonderful!

Yes, it works great. I love it! You've already seen the build threads. So, there are no more details to share other than the update. It still works just as good as it did when I built it...what, 3 years ago?

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Yes, it works great. I love it! You've already seen the build threads. So, there are no more details to share other than the update. It still works just as good as it did when I built it...what, 3 years ago?

Just the kind of heater you used. I've seen some they consider to be 'small' but they're 750 watt or so. Is that over kill? I've never had this kind of heater so I don't want to get something way bigger than needed. This one, for example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Optimus-...61727&wl11=online&wl12=46470013&wl13=&veh=sem Thanks for responding. :)

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Great! Thanks. So glad yours is still working well for you. My Leopard thanks you for the heater help.

brokerheather

Phoenix AZ
So, my boy is 150lbs now and his temp shelter had the insulation as pictured, but I'm wondering about using spray foam. I'm mostly concerned with him destroying it (as he has done a number on the temp one), although I didn't cover the insulation on both sides. I am in Phoenix, so don't need it to be crazy and it is being built under a covered patio up against my block house.