Temporary heated night box?

Albie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Our 60-year old Hermann, Anton, is in an outside enclosure most of the time from April through September, but when it cools off at night, we bring him indoors for overnighting (and to warm up in the mornings). Outside, Anton has a partially buried terra cotta pot on its side that he often sleeps in. We live in Southern Sweden. We’ll be away for a week in September, and would like to leave him in his outdoor enclosure, but need some sort of heated box for him to be able to go into in case it gets too cold (We can ask a neighbour to come check that he’s in it, or put him in it). We’re looking for something simple — this is just a solution for a week (and we’re not terribly handy!), so not thinking to spend a lot or build a lot. Suggestions? Something we can buy and hang a heater in with a timer? Thanks for ideas!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This may be helpful

Although I would feel more comfortable leaving him indoors with someone checking on and feeding him, in case of poor weather, low temps, theft and predators.

Any chance of adapting a room/conservatory for him?
My tort lives indoors all year with access to the garden in summer, He has his own room, and his indoor hide is an insulated dog kennel which I lined with a roll of insulated foil. I use a reptile radiator run through a thermostat. It is suspended level below the sloping roof on a rack (extendable oven rack fixed with brackets) The floor has a plastic liner to stop pee and poop seeping through and for ease of cleaning, with a slate tile.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of low temps are you talking about?
Your tort can take 60 as a low at night.

Albie

5 Year Member
Sweden
It could get into the single digits (°C) — so closer to 50°F or below. Too cold for him!

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
It could get into the single digits (°C) — so closer to 50°F or below. Too cold for him!
I'm not sure how warm it would be but ,a large pile of hay in a dog house might be a quick simple temporary fix. I wouldn't risk it outdoors, if I had indoor option with a family or friend.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure how warm it would be but ,a large pile of hay in a dog house might be a quick simple temporary fix. I wouldn't risk it outdoors, if I had indoor option with a family or friend.
Tortoise do not produce their own heat. So if its cold, they will be cold. Nothing covering them will keep them warm.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can't leave him indoors like Lyn w suggests, then maybe a small deck storage box or dog house with added insulation, plastic over the opening to keep wind out and heat in, che and a heat pig blanket pad or just a small radiator style heater on a thermostat.
About 49 bucks for the deck storage box and with insulation on sides and top, thin board over that and the heating elements, the thermostat and radiator heater, you are looking at around 200 bucks or so.
Otherwise you could build a square wood box with all the same stuff mention above, minus the deck box and you will probably spend the same or little more