Pancake Tortoise info

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NM
I need info on the best substrate for pancakes. Also does anyone know of any good websites for pancake info? Thank You for the help.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Your best bet is to talk to experienced keepers, right here on the forum ;)

Someone that keeps pancakes will be along soon, but I can tell you that the answer will probably be cypress mulch.

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
Thanks for the info Ihave read everything here already. I use cypress for my red foots, just wanted other opinions. The guy I got them from used rabbit pellets, but I dont really like to use them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Please never use rabbit pellets. They hold no humidity, and they are hard for the tortoises to walk on. It can create muscle, bone, and joint problems and deformities.

Cypress mulch is probably the most used substrate, along with coconut coir, and orchid bark.

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
i would never use rabbit pellets myself. i think he used them because he fed right on them. iguess to lazy to wash a bowl. He said they also ate them. i feed spring mix,cactus,dandelions ,and other weeds. Ialso give some cactus flowers. they are in a packer right now as i am quarinteening them in my bedroom away from other tortoises. will build them a larger house when they are out of quariteen. i have room for a 3by7 cage. it will have rock hides and be much better than now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
aren't rabbit pellets to high in protein for grazers like pancakes?

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
i think that they are i just said thats what the person i got them from used.

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
substrate is what you put your pancakes on syrup is what you put on your pancakes

flapjack torts

5 Year Member
I use eco earth as well with reptile sand mixed in for their indoor enclosure and a mulch mix for their outdoors enclosure.

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Mtorniericare.htm

Every site I've found information on says the opposite of another...but from what I've gathered the eco earth and sand combo works the best (and safest for your tortoises). I've had mine for over a year with no issues. Feel free to fire off any more questions you might have and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.