Newbie questions - Wierd ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi John and welcome from me too. For the hide, a small tortoise will often do well with a small cardboard box with a hole in it for access. Its true they need to be able to be completely hidden when they wish. I believe moss in general is safe so even if you don't have sphagnum, if you have any moss in the garden its probably allright. You are right about the furniture as well, its good to have things on there so the tortoise cannot just see from one end to the other. Obstructions to getting about on the table are important to make life a bit more interesting. Keeping a Hermann indoors its more likely to end up too dry so moisture is important, but not everwhere - let him have some choices. Shell rot is very unlikley to be an issue at all indoors because of the warmth and dry air that we have in our houses.

M

Maggie Cummings

I also was going to say something about your comment on shell rot but ozric beat me to it. Shell rot is something *mostly* seen in aquatics and other species kept in a very wet environment. Your tortoise is not very likely to get shell rot.
You will need to keep your substrate more wet then dry. You should be able to grab a handful like Scarlet O'Hara and squeeze it and have it hold it's shape. Exactly like she did to that Georgia clay, you can avoid saying anything about Tara and not ever being hungry again..but I digress...pick up a handful and squeeze it, then open your hand and the soil should still be in the shape of your fist. I hope this helps and you probably didn't need the lesson on Gone With the Wind...:D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Usually the older resources will speak of shell rot (rather un-informed about it) because that was the old thought. This was also before the recent research on moist substrate (humidity) preventing/minimizing pyramiding.

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Oh right, thats good to know! I've re-mixed the substrate with more top soil so it has a higher moisture holding capacity but will still drain easily.I bought some sphagnum moss today for the baby to use as bedding or play in or whatever. I havent got around to lining the table yet so it will have to be done tommorow morning. I'll post some pictures when it is all up and running :) Thanks again for your help guys, no doubt I'll have about 1000 more questions when the baby arrives hehe.

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Hi Guys, Here it is the finished product :) (well its never qutie finished is it) but it is at least suitable I hope and my new tortoise (turbo) has spent a night in there so far.

Here are some pictures of The enclosure and my baby Turbo the Hermanns.
30082009747.jpg
30082009750.jpg
30082009754.jpg
31082009759.jpg
31082009762.jpg

The Enclosure is planted with a grassy section and several rooted dandelion plants from my lawn, there is a slated area that I can put food on without it become soiled by the substrate and a washed cuttlebone for him to knaw on when he feels like it. Also I'm in the process of finding some plant pots for him to play hide and seek in - but they are not in place yet.
Opinions welcome :) - any ideas also greatly appreciated - as said before I'm a new at this hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congratulations for the baby!
I really love the enclosure, it is really nice. You did an amazing job, he looks really happy to live in it :D.
Have you seen him trying to eat the little pebbles?
Turbo looks so proud to be able to use the computer :D Sooo smart!

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Thanks Isa, he does seem happy (not that I know how to tell really), but he does patrol the perimeter like a bulldog. Its real cute cus hes only tiny lol

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am glad he likes his new home :D.
I do not see a hide in the enclosure, is there any?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Congratulations! Your enclosure is great and your baby is a cutie pie!!

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
Hi ISA, yeah there are 2 hides and I'm going to add another I think but he doesn't seem to use either by choice, there is one cocounut half with a notch cut in (very wide enough) for a doorway and a much larger hide made of wood that is part of the enclosure that is filled with sphagnum moss. As I said I thought he'd be bigger so I kind of over estimated the size of the hide required.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
johnhutch2000 said:
Hi ISA, yeah there are 2 hides and I'm going to add another I think but he doesn't seem to use either by choice, there is one cocounut half with a notch cut in (very wide enough) for a doorway and a much larger hide made of wood that is part of the enclosure that is filled with sphagnum moss. As I said I thought he'd be bigger so I kind of over estimated the size of the hide required.

I love those coconut half, I think it looks really cute in an enclosure :D.

johnhutch2000

10 Year Member!
hehe thanks! I orginally made them for my Tropical fish tank but my catfish got too big to fit in it anymore so I made the holes wider and put Turbos name on it with a Dremel engraver (I just think it adds personality). I'm going to sink a few ceramic plant pots in the substrate too I think so he has a choice of where to go. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.