confusion about lighting for 1 year hermanns tortoise!

isla.o

Location (City and/or State)
england
I am getting a 1 year old herman tortoise, and i am getting mixed opinions about lighting. i’m confused on which is better, should i just have a mercury vapour bulb, or should i have a uvb strip light along the whole enclosure and seperate basking lamp? and should i have a non light emitting heat lamp at night since he is so young, or is it ok for the temps to drop down? any advice would be greatly appreciated as i’m confused on what to use!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
no mercury vapor. go with a HO T5 strip light and fixture

how cold are your nights? if room temp stays above 65 F. then you dont need night heat.

Read these:

isla.o

england
no mercury vapor. go with a HO T5 strip light and fixture

how cold are your nights? if room temp stays above 65 F. then you dont need night heat.

Read these:

thank you, is this a suitable light? Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit 7% ShadeDweller 8w

the temps are usually above 65 at night so that’s good, those resources are very helpful i feel very prepared now, thank you! :)

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
thank you, is this a suitable light? Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit 7% ShadeDweller 8w

the temps are usually above 65 at night so that’s good, those resources are very helpful i feel very prepared now, thank you! :)
Arcadia Pro T5 UVB kit is excellent, but you need the 12% for your Hermann’s.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
perfect, will get that one then. is this all i need, do i need a basking spot or does that provide it?
You will need a basking spot as well. buy a flood light bulb not a spot light bulb other wise it will get too hot in center

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I believe regular incandescent flood bulbs are no longer sold in your country. This is what we typically suggest for basking bulbs in place of what we use in Canada and the US. The watts you need will depend on the type of enclosure you have, and how cool you keep your house.

A piece of black slate is most recommended to have at the basking spot. The slate absorbs the heat, which helps your little tortoise warm up their underside and also allows you to create that basking temp you need. As an example, I use a 65 watt flood light bulb in my tortoise table style of enclosure. Without using slate, that basking spot warms the substrate to about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. With simply adding a piece of black slate, and making no other adjustments, my basking spot warms up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. You could possibly find slate tiles ate a hardware store or anyplace that sells tiles or a landscaping centre.

isla.o

england
You will need a basking spot as well. buy a flood light bulb not a spot light bulb other wise it will get too hot in cente
I believe regular incandescent flood bulbs are no longer sold in your country. This is what we typically suggest for basking bulbs in place of what we use in Canada and the US. The watts you need will depend on the type of enclosure you have, and how cool you keep your house.

A piece of black slate is most recommended to have at the basking spot. The slate absorbs the heat, which helps your little tortoise warm up their underside and also allows you to create that basking temp you need. As an example, I use a 65 watt flood light bulb in my tortoise table style of enclosure. Without using slate, that basking spot warms the substrate to about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. With simply adding a piece of black slate, and making no other adjustments, my basking spot warms up to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. You could possibly find slate tiles ate a hardware store or anyplace that sells tiles or a landscaping centre.
ah i was wondering where i’d find that sort of bulb, that’s really helpful thank you! i actually just bought some slates for putting food on so that’s great to know i can put one under the lamp. i’ve learnt so much since joining the forum, people are so helpful! :)

isla.o

england

If you don’t mind i had another question, will the tortoise need the calcium powder dusting and if so how often and how much?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
If you don’t mind i had another question, will the tortoise need the calcium powder dusting and if so how often and how much?
Yes, calcium powder should be used. Just a little pinch dusted on the greens a couple times per week is good. Look for a calcium powder with D3. You can also put a cuttlefish bone, or even just a piece of one in the enclosure for your tortoise to chew on if they so wish. It’s a way for the tortoise to self regulate their calcium intake if they feel they need more.

isla.o

england
Yes, calcium powder should be used. Just a little pinch dusted on the greens a couple times per week is good. Look for a calcium powder with D3. You can also put a cuttlefish bone, or even just a piece of one in the enclosure for your tortoise to chew on if they so wish. It’s a way for the tortoise to self regulate their calcium intake if they feel they need more.
Ok so i’ll buy the vetark nutrobal. That’s interesting, i’ll buy a cuttlefish bone as well then.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am getting a 1 year old herman tortoise, and i am getting mixed opinions about lighting. i’m confused on which is better, should i just have a mercury vapour bulb, or should i have a uvb strip light along the whole enclosure and seperate basking lamp? and should i have a non light emitting heat lamp at night since he is so young, or is it ok for the temps to drop down? any advice would be greatly appreciated as i’m confused on what to use!
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In the UK, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12%. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Problems with MVBs:
1. They run too hot for a closed chamber, which is what you should be using.
2. They cause too much carapace desiccation which causes pyramiding.
3. They are fragile and break easily.
4. They are temperamental sometimes and shut themselves off for 20 minutes at a time.
5. They are expensive.
6. Their UV output runs from one extreme to the other. Some produce way too much UV, and other produce none at all after two or three months.

isla.o

england
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In the UK, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12%. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Problems with MVBs:
4. They are temperamental sometimes and shut themselves off for 20 minutes at a time.
5. They are expensive.
6. Their UV output runs from one extreme to the other. Some produce way too much UV, and other produce none at all after two or three months.
Hi Tom, so would you agree this bulb is suitable?

In regards to LED light bulbs, is that just to make it brighter or is it necessary? Sorry that might be obvious i just want to be completely prepared for him.

i can get my tortoise outside for a few hours a week but i can’t always guarantee it, should i get the UVB strip light anyway?

Thanks for you reply!

isla.o

england
Problems with MVBs:
5. They are expensive.
Also, i currently have an open topped wooden tortoise table, how would i go about making a closed chamber?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, so would you agree this bulb is suitable?

In regards to LED light bulbs, is that just to make it brighter or is it necessary? Sorry that might be obvious i just want to be completely prepared for him.

i can get my tortoise outside for a few hours a week but i can’t always guarantee it, should i get the UVB strip light anyway?

Thanks for you reply!
That basking lamp looks good.

The basking bulb alone isn't that bright and only lights up one side of the enclosure. The UV tube will only be on for a short time mid day. The LED lights then light up the entire enclosure and make it look like daytime, and they do it without generating a lot of excess heat, while their low wattage makes them very efficient and inexpensive to run all day.

Get the UV strip and use it when you need it. Maybe it stays off all summer when the torotise is getting regular weekly sunning time, but you run it for a couple hours mid day for the rest of the year.
Also, i currently have an open topped wooden tortoise table, how would i go about making a closed chamber?
You buy or build one. There are now multiple place in the UK selling them, and at least one of those makes very large closed chamber that you could use when your tortoise is an adult. The price was also reasonable too.
it the rest of the year during less favorable weather.

Last edited:

isla.o

england

The basking bulb alone isn't that bright and only lights up one side of the enclosure. The UV tube will only be on for a short time mid day. The LED lights then light up the entire enclosure and make it look like daytime, and they do it without generating a lot of excess heat, while their low wattage makes them very efficient and inexpensive to run all day.

Get the UV strip and use it when you need it. Maybe it stays off all summer when the torotise is getting regular weekly sunning time, but you run

You buy or build one. There are now multiple place in the UK selling them, and at least one of those makes very large closed chamber that you could use when your tortoise is an adult. The price was also reasonable too.
Perfect, thank you for all you advice, it all makes sense now! :)

isla.o

england

Get the UV strip and use it when you need it. Maybe it stays off all summer when the torotise is getting regular weekly sunning time, but you run it for a couple hours mid day for the rest of the year.

Is a closed chamber still necessary when the humidity and temperature are easily maintained or is it irrelevant? And if so, would it be ok to build a frame a over the table and then cover it in plastic?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is a closed chamber still necessary when the humidity and temperature are easily maintained or is it irrelevant? And if so, would it be ok to build a frame a over the table and then cover it in plastic?
Unless the room temperature and humidity match what you are striving to achieve for the tortoise, then open tops don't work. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof.

A frame covered in plastic can work, but it doesn't work as well as a proper closed chamber. The thin plastic sheeting doesn't have the insulation properties of thicker materials like 1/2 inch expanded PVC sheeting.