Newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natacha_Woods

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
[size=medium] Hello everyone, My name is Natacha I'm new to the site as you can see and I'm here to introduce myself. I've recently gotten my first tortoise companion who is a horsfield, too young to sex yet but I refer to him as male. Named him Bowser after the Mario Brothers villain. I think he is 3 years old, that's what the breeder said anyway.
Tort specifics:
Weight - 92g
Length - 8cm
Width - 6cm
Height - 4cm
Here is a photo:
1235271_614297128593257_1009661138_n.jpg

I was wondering, even though outwardly he looks healthy, should I get a vet to give him a once over? Check for worms etc. ?
I got him exactly 2 days ago.
He is eating fine and has wondered round his table to check it out.
Mainly he sits under the full spectrum heat/UVA/UVB lamp that is currently at 31 degrees Celsius. The cool side of the table is at room temp, at 20 degrees Celsius.
I'm a little bit worried as he hasn't passed any waste yet? Pee or poo.
He also seems a little sluggish, doesn't do much.
I soak him once a day.
I feed him weeds that the breeder told me to feed him.

Thanks for any help,
Natacha.

bigsteaks

5 Year Member
Deptford NJ
HI
great looking tort there!!! some pics of the tail area of the shell may lead someone on here to determine the sex for you. there are also lots of posts to help you determine that for yourself as well as pics and descriptions to help aid your guess!!!!
these little guys love all kinds of leafy greens from weeds in your yard to store bought stuff like mustard greens and broccoli rabe. in the spring my three eat dandelion flowers like candy and they really seem to munch on that broccoli rabe as well.
I have included a pic of one our males and our female IMAG0784.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Natacha, and welcome to the Forum!

I think it's a good idea to establish a rapport with your vet, get the tortoise's vital statistics entered into the record when he's well and healthy. That way if you ever have to take him in when he's sick, there's a base to go by.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new tortoise! He/she is a beauty for sure!
You likely won't be able to tell for sure if it's male or female until it's about 12cm. Before then, most look female (small, stubby tail).

There is a good resource website for Russian tortoises: www.russiantortoise.net and I really like the list of edible (and toxic) plants on here: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/files/Booklet 2nd edition_March 2012.pdf

If you have the $, then having your tortoise checked out by a vet, having a fecal sample run to check for parasites etc. would be a wonderful idea. You might ask the breeder if they treat for worms regularly, or if that has been an issue -it may not be necessary, especially in a captive bred animal. Make sure your vet has experience with tortoises, because some will give bad advice because they just aren't familiar with the species. I hear a lot of people say their vet told them to feed their tortoise cat food and such, even though it's an herbivorous tortoise.

I think the basking lamp could be moved a tiny bit closer to your tortoise, so that the hot spot right under it is about 35 degrees C. I think your tortoise might be acting sluggish because he's a little chilly. Maybe you can also provide a hiding spot that is near the warm side, since little ones like to hide AND be warm. It's ok for things to cool off during the night.

As far as passing waste, if you are feeding him and he is eating and he is being soaked daily, then it is just a matter of time. After a move, some tortoises get a little stopped up. You could try feeding a little bit of an aloe vera leaf - that usually moves things along. ;)

Natacha_Woods said:
[size=medium] Hello everyone, My name is Natacha I'm new to the site as you can see and I'm here to introduce myself. I've recently gotten my first tortoise companion who is a horsfield, too young to sex yet but I refer to him as male. Named him Bowser after the Mario Brothers villain. I think he is 3 years old, that's what the breeder said anyway.
Tort specifics:
Weight - 92g
Length - 8cm
Width - 6cm
Height - 4cm
Here is a photo:
1235271_614297128593257_1009661138_n.jpg

I was wondering, even though outwardly he looks healthy, should I get a vet to give him a once over? Check for worms etc. ?
I got him exactly 2 days ago.
He is eating fine and has wondered round his table to check it out.
Mainly he sits under the full spectrum heat/UVA/UVB lamp that is currently at 31 degrees Celsius. The cool side of the table is at room temp, at 20 degrees Celsius.
I'm a little bit worried as he hasn't passed any waste yet? Pee or poo.
He also seems a little sluggish, doesn't do much.
I soak him once a day.
I feed him weeds that the breeder told me to feed him.

Thanks for any help,
Natacha.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can collect a fecal sample to run to the vet..this will spare your tort needless stress...especially if the tort is new and is adjusting well...if it is not broken why monkey with it...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I like the idea of taking a new tort to a vet for a check up. Altho it costs, I felt better knowing they were ok. My rescued Russian did have worms tho, but they took care of that for her, trim'd her huge beak, and trim'd her very long nails. But if your's seems healthy, then its just a personal decision you will need to make. Best of luck! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mr. Binks said:
This is the Russian tortoise area by the way

That is why she is posting info and questions about her russian tortoise.

Natcha, They can sometimes take a while to settle in. If he's already eating and basking, those are great signs. I keep the hot spot directly under the bulb for my young russians at right around 37, and then the rest of the enclosure fades to room temp. No night heat is needed.

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
I'm a newbie too so sorry, no advice! I just wanted to say your tort is B-E-A-U-tiful! :)

From Ella

Status
Not open for further replies.