Beginner needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
I just got my Russian tortoise 4 days ago at PetSmart (they think he is 9 months old). I feed him twice a day (but I am going to cut that down to once a day). I feed him the spring mix with kale, spinach, and fruit (I just learned that fruit is bad, so I will stop giving that to him) He eats, and drinks well but he is very lazy, he just sits in his little shaded corner, he lives in a 10 gallon tank (I know too small, but I am building a new, larger one). He has a UVB and heat light and his ground cover is tiny mulch. He has one white spot on his shell (is that good?). I don't take him outside because I live in Florida, and it is very humid. Am I doing every thing right? Have I done any permanent damage with the fruit? Is spinach ok to eat? Why is he so lazy? Am I overfeeding him or underfeeding him? Should I still take him out even though it is humid? I just won't Chester Tortoiseson:tort: to live a long, happy, healthy life! Any suggestions on how I am doing?

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
Honestly, Humidity is ok... No problem. He needs a LARGE enclosure and it is a tortoise after all... They are lazy. Spring mix and weeds, no fruit. Spinach is OK in small amounts with a well balanced and a large variety of weeds and leafy greens. UVA/B is what is recommended other than natural light (also highly recommended!) The 10gal wont do for long. He needs his exercise... Also, A 9 month old russian would be very small, as in under the 4" law. If he is about 4" he may be between 5 to 10 years old. Cypress mulch and coco coir are also good substrates and are easy on the tortoise as they like to burrow. Water dish large enough fr him to lay in is also very recommended for hydration and to cool down if needed. make sure its 70Ëš on the cool side and 95Ëš on the basking area. In a 10 gal, that is impossible! the large enclosure size should be 4 ft x 3ft. That is a good size for a sub-adult russian.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
chase thorn said:
Honestly, Humidity is ok... No problem. He needs a LARGE enclosure and it is a tortoise after all... They are lazy. Spring mix and weeds, no fruit. Spinach is OK in small amounts with a well balanced and a large variety of weeds and leafy greens. UVA/B is what is recommended other than natural light (also highly recommended!) The 10gal wont do for long. He needs his exercise... Also, A 9 month old russian would be very small, as in under the 4" law. If he is about 4" he may be between 5 to 10 years old. Cypress mulch and coco coir are also good substrates and are easy on the tortoise as they like to burrow. Water dish large enough fr him to lay in is also very recommended for hydration and to cool down if needed. make sure its 70Ëš on the cool side and 95Ëš on the basking area. In a 10 gal, that is impossible! the large enclosure size should be 4 ft x 3ft. That is a good size for a sub-adult russian.

Thanks for the info,i will get the larger cage soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi chester tortoiseson:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Pet shops are notorious for telling their customers that tortoises are quite a bit younger than they really are. Russian tortoises are a very small species if tortoise. So a small Russian isn't necessarily a baby Russian.

It is quite ok for a Russian tortoise to live outside in Florida. Build him an outdoor enclosure as soon as you can. He will be much better off and quite active outside. Pay particular attention to the type of building material you use. They are very good climbers and diggers.

What would you like us to call you?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tortoise is inactive, you should check the temperatures around your enclosure. It could be too hot or not warm enough.

Please would you report back on the temperatures in the 4 important places:
1. Under the basking lamp (Should be 95F)
2. warm end
3. Coll end
4. Overnight minimum

It is important that you soak him daily, especially if you have air conditioning which lowers humidity levels and can lead to dehydration. (this can also lead to a inactive tortoise) Soaking makes sure your tort takes on enough water to stay healthy. My soaking tips can be seen in the link in my signature below.

Russians are outdoor tortoises, even little ones will benefit hugely by being allowed outside for a few hours, daily if possible.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for all your help. I will soak him, take him out even though it is very humid, and to build a outside cage for him! Also just call mt CT! Thank again:D!

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Also I have a question about D3, I have a UVB light, there is D3 in his calcium powder, and I am going to take him outside more often. Is that too much D3? Would that harm him?

JoesMum said:
If your tortoise is inactive, you should check the temperatures around your enclosure. It could be too hot or not warm enough.

Please would you report back on the temperatures in the 4 important places:
1. Under the basking lamp (Should be 95F)
2. warm end
3. Coll end
4. Overnight minimum

It is important that you soak him daily, especially if you have air conditioning which lowers humidity levels and can lead to dehydration. (this can also lead to a inactive tortoise) Soaking makes sure your tort takes on enough water to stay healthy. My soaking tips can be seen in the link in my signature below.

Russians are outdoor tortoises, even little ones will benefit hugely by being allowed outside for a few hours, daily if possible.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
Also I have a question about D3, I have a UVB light, there is D3 in his calcium powder, and I am going to take him outside more often. Is that too much D3? Would that harm him?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Once he is outside, and gets a variety of weeds (be warned, you will now start planting and loving weeds, lol), they will provide some calcium. The sun will help provide D3. Supplementing may not be necessary. Depending on where you live in Florida, it is possible he can live outside year round.
Weed seed source:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

Make sure you use concrete or pavers to set up a cool hide, and some shade plants that do well in your area.
A shallow water dish so he can soak if he wants to. You can also mist his greens when you feed him.
Remember, they are more wild than domesticated. So the goal is to provide a natural environment for them to be, well... just tortoises. That may mean burrowing, or just sitting. We still love them.
Good general site:
http://www.russiantortoise.org/
Info on safe plants:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

The white spot is probably OK, just a scar from his previous life. If there is concern, you can post a pic of it under the Tortoise health section.

Status
Not open for further replies.