Newbie here...

Cowrie

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hi, I've been looking into the possibility of getting either a tortoise or some sort of terrestrial or semi-terrestrial turtle, so I joined here in search of advice. I'm currently unsure as to what species I want. This would be my first reptile, though I do have experience monitoring temperature and humidity of enclosures from owning frogs in the past. Any turtle or tortoise I get would have to be a smaller species that can be housed fully indoors, due to a lack of yard room, the presence of neighbor's cats and dogs, and unpredictable local weather conditions. I'd be willing to get a kiddie pool and cover it with screen for supervised sunbathing on nice days, but that's the maximum extent of outdoor time I'd be comfortable providing.

Cowrie

Illinois
That's the plan, thanks. What forum section would be best for seeking advice on what species are easiest to keep indoors? Tortoise FAQ? General Discussion?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's the plan, thanks. What forum section would be best for seeking advice on what species are easiest to keep indoors? Tortoise FAQ? General Discussion?
A lot of that would be based on your location in the world and the size of the area you can dedicate to the tortoise or turtle.
For Example, if you lived in Florida....I'd suggest a Redfoot tortoise.
In general. For an indoors and easy to keep because they stay small, my first thought would be a Russian tortoise.

Cowrie

Illinois
I posted a thread in FAQ with a bit more information, and a list of some species I've been looking into. I'm living in southern Illinois, but like I said, I intend for this to be an indoor turtle or tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Greetings! & welcome to the forum. Easy to keep & relativly small area for living? The mud & musk turtles might be up your alley. Let's ask @Moozillion for some help.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I'd suggest the Turtles section under the species specific heading... Particularly the Water Turtles subsection. :D

I admit, I'm quite biased on this one, but I would suggest looking into the North American mud and musk turtles. They are hardy (once past the fragile hatching stage) and stay small (some good options that rarely grow more than 4 inches or so).

If you want to know why I'm so biased, there's a thread in the Water Turtles section for Bold and Pinstripe, my three-striped mud turtles. :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Greetings! & welcome to the forum. Easy to keep & relativly small area for living? The mud & musk turtles might be up your alley. Let's ask @Moozillion for some help.

I would suggest that you read, read and read some more all over this forum, about both turtles and tortoises.
When I first joined this forum back in the Spring of 2012, I spent months reading posts all over the forum: not just the technicalities, but people's experiences with their animals.
Ask questions in general and ask questions to specific people on the forum.
After 8 months of almost DAILY reading (for HOURS at a time) everything I could find on the forum that was remotely interesting to me, and REALISTICALLY assessing what I could or could not handle (no sulcatas for me!) I got my first tortoise. I am so glad I did it this way.
I started with what I felt would be the easiest for me, which has worked out great.
My first tortoise is alive and well after 7 years with me.
But my mud turtle had a near-drowning experience due to my not fully understanding what poor swimmers mud turtles are, and has continued to have health problems ever since. Happily, my musk turtle is doing great.
Just remember: it is the animals who pay the ULTIMATE PRICE for our errors and misjudgments.

So, READ, ASK QUESTIONS and BE PATIENT!!! You'll be glad you did! :)