Aloha kakou! Newbie from Kaneohe, HI here

Status
Not open for further replies.

manda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Hello all! I'm a newbie looking to purchase my first tortoise or terrestrial turtle. Technically, I suppose we already have a turtle, but since he's a wild red eared slider (or possibly a pet gone feral after being released by some irresponsible owner) who just happened to wander into our aquaponics garden and take up residence, I don't really consider him a "pet." He eats some of the tilapia fingerlings, invading frogs, and snails in the water tanks, and doesn't seem to like or want any attention from us humans, so we pretty much just leave him be. His presence, however, did inspire my son and I to start learning about other chelonia, and now we'd really like a shelled pet to add to our menagerie! So far our "inside" pets include:
1 (incredibly spoiled) long haired miniature dachshund- otherwise known by my husband and son as "mamma's fur baby"
2 freshwater aquariums filled with a total of 21 fish ranging from rosy barbs and dart tails to catfish and fresh water fish
1 smaller bowl where we have separated my son's new fancy guppy fry ("Mom, mom! My fishies had babies!!!" That was a fun conversation ;))
Our "outside" pets pretty much just consist of the fish in our smaller aquaponics garden that we set up out front as a place to keep the barbs that have outgrown indoor tanks and to grow pretty, non-edible flowers. Our bigger rig has fish (and the afore mentioned turtle) but since we eat them, they're not really pets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO and your yard sounds great with all the flowers and fish . Your going to send us some pictures I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.