What species of tortoise/turtle would be best for me?

Cowrie

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I'm wanting to get either a tortoise or some sort of terrestrial or semi-terrestrial turtle, but I'm unsure what species would be best for me. This would be my first reptile, though I do have experience monitoring temperature and humidity of enclosures from owning frogs in the past. Any turtle or tortoise I get would have to be a smaller species that can be housed fully indoors, due to a lack of yard room, the presence of neighbor's cats and dogs, and unpredictable local weather conditions. I'd be willing to get a kiddie pool and cover it with screen for supervised sunbathing on nice days, but that's the maximum extent of outdoor time I'd be comfortable providing.

As far as what sort of indoor enclosure I'd have, it would have to be something covered, since there are cats in my house. I do currently have an empty 40 gallon breeder tank sitting around, and while I'm pretty sure there aren't any tortoises that could be housed in that long-term, if there are any terrestrial or semi-terrestrial turtles that it would be suitable for, that would be ideal. However, I'd also be willing to make some sort of DIY enclosure.

I have looked into a number of species already, but I'd like input from other people. Species I'm interested in include Hermann's tortoises, Russian tortoises, pancake tortoises, spotted turtles, Central American wood turtles, and Asian leaf turtles. Visually, I also find the various hingeback tortoises interesting, but most sources suggest those are best left for experienced keepers.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I did similar research a year ago and landed on a redfoot... I'm very happy that my redfoot Darwin came to live with me.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
They're larger, but when full grown don't really need more space than do Russians....

J

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The smallest tortoise species need a minimum of 4x8' indoors. I can't list specific enclosure sizes for the turtle species you mentioned, but most of them are also going to need large enclosures too.

Have you considered something like a bearded dragon or a blue tongue skink? Both are interactive and super cool and can get by with smaller enclosures of 2x4' as full sized adults. Leopard geckos and crested geckos are both super easy to care for and can live their whole lives quite happily in smaller sized cages.

Cowrie

Illinois
The smallest tortoise species need a minimum of 4x8' indoors. I can't list specific enclosure sizes for the turtle species you mentioned, but most of them are also going to need large enclosures too.

Have you considered something like a bearded dragon or a blue tongue skink? Both are interactive and super cool and can get by with smaller enclosures of 2x4' as full sized adults. Leopard geckos and crested geckos are both super easy to care for and can live their whole lives quite happily in smaller sized cages.
I thought the spotted turtles at least could get by with significantly smaller enclosures than most tortoises. Austin's Turtle Page says that three of them can live in a 55 gallon aquarium. I'm not sure if my 40 gallon tank would be sufficient for a singleton or not. That said, I have considered lizards before, and maybe one of those would be a better choice for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought the spotted turtles at least could get by with significantly smaller enclosures than most tortoises. Austin's Turtle Page says that three of them can live in a 55 gallon aquarium. I'm not sure if my 40 gallon tank would be sufficient for a singleton or not. That said, I have considered lizards before, and maybe one of those would be a better choice for me.
@Markw84 knows spotted turtles well. Mark? What say you about indoor enclosure size for spotted turtles?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Spotted turtles are my favorite aquatic turtle. Possibly the most "friendly" and interactive turtle. You could keep a single adult in a 55 gal aquarium, or even a pair of females. I would prefer 100 gal tank for adults, though. The issue will be if there is a male. A fully adult male can be extremely aggressive towards other males and very persistent with females. You need plenty of sight blocks and ways to climb to the surface. A mating male can drown a female if there is no way for her to climb to the surface with all four of his feet clamped around her shell from above.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I think your 40B tank has the same footprint as a 55G tank, it's just a little shorter. For spotted turtles and North American mud turtles, you wouldn't need the extra height, because these species only need a few inches of water.

Cowrie

Illinois
I think your 40B tank has the same footprint as a 55G tank, it's just a little shorter. For spotted turtles and North American mud turtles, you wouldn't need the extra height, because these species only need a few inches of water.
Though I haven't looked it up in a while, if memory serves, the 40B isn't as long side to side, but is a bit wider front to back compared to a 55G; I'm not sure which has more overall floor space. It's 30B tanks that have the exact same footprint as 40B.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Spotted turtles are my favorite aquatic turtle. Possibly the most "friendly" and interactive turtle. You could keep a single adult in a 55 gal aquarium, or even a pair of females. I would prefer 100 gal tank for adults, though. The issue will be if there is a male. A fully adult male can be extremely aggressive towards other males and very persistent with females. You need plenty of sight blocks and ways to climb to the surface. A mating male can drown a female if there is no way for her to climb to the surface with all four of his feet clamped around her shell from above.
Some of the prettiest as well

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Though I haven't looked it up in a while, if memory serves, the 40B isn't as long side to side, but is a bit wider front to back compared to a 55G; I'm not sure which has more overall floor space. It's 30B tanks that have the exact same footprint as 40B.
I looked up the measurements for Aqueon aquariums, and you're right about the 40B footprint (base) being different than the 55G footprint.

FOR AQUEON TANKS:
(Measurements rounded down to nearest inch.)

30B / 40B / 50G / 65G
Approx 36" x 18" bottom

33L / 40L / 55G
Approx 48" x 12" bottom

20L / 29G / 37G
Approx 30" x 12" bottom