Semi-aquatic

Audrey Anggita

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
image.jpg Well, hi guys.

I am a newbie from Indonesia.
Here i'd like to introduce about my tortoise (or turtle?) maybe i enter wrong forum but, i'd like to sharing about my babies.image.jpgimage.jpg
People said they are semi aquatic, they cant swim, they affraid to deep water and preffer to soaking in shallow water.
Their name is Mainen and Toinen. And they are known as spinny turtle or heosemys spinosa.
Basicly, they didnt have any fins among their fingers so they cant swim into deep water.
Literally, my babies will be panic if i put them in deep water and try to climbing my hand or the edge of pond.

What is their food?
I feed them with fruits. They loves BANANA. I ever saw them running to get banana.
Also i gave them tomatoes, kiwi, watermelon, cantalope, papaya, and
I am very sorry if i joined into the wrong from and this is their photogenic pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    927.3 KB · Views: 14

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You are at the right forum .
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . I don't know about your turtles but someone with more smarts then me will come help you soon . But nice to have you here with us !

Audrey Anggita

Indonesia
Well thx!!
I wishh, i really wish someone would help me about how to take care of this torts.
They are really moody and easy to stress.

And i wish, next wednesday i could post about my another baby, a cherry head torts.

Glad to be here then. :)

Richabi

wales uk
Hi welcome to the forum they look so cool sorry I don't know anything about them but there are people her that do enjoy :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome Audrey!! Keep checking back here because someone will help you! They are really pretty!!
@tortadise

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Will you post the enclosure you are keeping them in?

Turtlepete

South Florida
Those are two incredible Heosemys spinosa, or Spiny Hill turtle. Quite nice specimens. They are mainly terrestrial, but they do appreciate a good shallow soaking pond, shallow enough to cover their body but not to force them to swim. What kind of setup do you have them in? This species typically does very well in a warm, humid enclosure, with a loose substrate of leaves, mulch, peat moss, soil and such. Plants are appreciated as well.

As far as their dietary needs, they are omnivorous, meaning they eat both plant and animal matter. All of the fruits you mentioned are definitely on the menu. They should have some greens and vegetables as well. Squashes, carrots, sweet potatoes, that kind of stuff. They are mainly plant-eaters, but its not bad to offer a little beat of meat occasionally. A good-quality commercial turtle pellet could be added infrequently to their diet. Meats like chicken, shrimp and fish could be offered occasionally as well. Mainly though you want to offer them a salad of fruits, veggies and greens.

Gorgeous turtles.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Audrey and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Mainen and Toinen.
You have come to the right place for help and information and have already got some good info.
I think your turtles are simply beautiful.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep spiny turtles. They're quite secretive and are active early evening and early morning. Mine prefer to soak in the water about 2.5-3" deep. They really become active when sprayed down. They will eat anything once established. Greens, mushrooms, fruits, worms, cow liver or animal intestines (a favorite) also hard boiled eggs. Diet is about 30% meat and 70% ruphage. Being in Indonesia is perfect weather for them. So just follow natural weather patterns you have. They like to hide a lot so offer heavily planted enclosure with lots of hides.

Audrey Anggita

Indonesia
I choose to not offer any hide place from planted, because i ever saw One of them eat that leaves and then vomited, and stop eating around 4 days.
So i change it with mangroves. Also because of my mistake, now they had fungus! But its almost vanish now, im bath them with sulfat bath (by Tetra Terrafauna).

Audrey Anggita

Indonesia
image.jpg image.jpg

This is their enclosure for now. I have to remove them from pond cause the pond was too dark and that makes fungus on their legs and necks.
This is the safe area cause also i have dogs who really" want to smack them out.
So yes, i choose plastic conteiner as their enclosure until their fungus totally vanish before make a better enclosure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Audrey, and welcome to the Forum!

Try to make your turtle habitats a little more natural-looking. They are very stark and barren. The turtles need some soil to dig down into, a waterer that they can climb into and lots of plants to hide under.