Newbie here! Researching for the new arrival :)

zephyrsmom

Hello!

Fiance and I live in southwest PA. We're in the planning stages for bringing home a baby red foot tortoise at the end of the month (Oaks reptile show-any positive reviews on breeders there?), and I'm mostly on this site to snoop around for advice. Can I get critique on my shopping list?

We're planning on setting up an indoor bin habitat (out of this container):
Zoo Med Powersun 100watt MVB / deep dome lamp fixture / reptile lamp stand
Mazuri tortoise diet (safe for babies? how often to feed?)
Zoo Med brand cypress mulch (Forest Floor) and sphagnum moss
Terra cotta saucer (food dish)
A soaking bowl/bath (like this?)
Misc plants - should I keep plants potted if I'm using mulch/moss for substrate? Will the tortoise knock them over easy?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Don't get that soaking bowl. Those are mainly for lizards and snakes. Young tortoises have been known to tip over backwards climbing out of them and land on their back in the water. The best waterer is a terracotta plant saucer a little bigger than your tortoise so he can sit in the water.

DO NOT let yourself get talked into buying one of the new spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs. They are harmful to eyes.

zephyrsmom

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Don't get that soaking bowl. Those are mainly for lizards and snakes. Young tortoises have been known to tip over backwards climbing out of them and land on their back in the water. The best waterer is a terracotta plant saucer a little bigger than your tortoise so he can sit in the water.

DO NOT let yourself get talked into buying one of the new spiral-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs. They are harmful to eyes.

Noted! Thanks!
I've kept lizards and snakes before, (the "Zephyr" in "Zephyrsmom" is my bearded dragon, actually!) and know the danger of coil UV. Would you recommend an additional UV strip lamp along with the MVB in that small of a container?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Hi and welcome. I'm new too. Hoping to go to the show. Wal-Mart is starting to put terra cotta dishes out. They are inexpensive. You want the plain ones, not painted or glazed. I bought 2 of each size. Some people like Madurai some don't. I plant plants in pots and directly in the enclosure. And have seedlings all over the house.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
You might need a che heat source. What substrate are you going to use. You may need a humid hide for babies.