Newbie Carolpsalm_91 with Russian tortoise Daisy t

carolpsalm_91

Hello, I'm Carol, I live in Fort Mill, SC. My Russian tortoise is approx. 4 to 5 yrs old, & her name is Daisy Maisy. I bought her 2 wks ago from Pet Smart. The only place in SC that allows the selling of tortoises. I owned a 10 lb. tortoise when I was 11, we lived in California and were moving when Uncle Remus decided to hibernate himself in our humongous fenced in yard jungled with every fruit tree imagined. For 3 days I searched with tears and failure & more tears for wks. So after 50 yrs. I've been blest with Miss Daisy Maisy to pass down to my 7 yr old grandson whose daddy nic named Turtle before he died. She seemed to perfect to help keep his daddy's memory with him throughout his life & 1 day passed to his child......she'll probably out live us all!!!! So hopefully me & Turtle can learn together from your website how to make the changes necessary for her. California was no problem, but SC is a new ball game for me & tortoises with winter cold, outside of the common sense care, UVB lighting, diet/supplements required, and her 4X6 outdoor dog pen on sunny days that are going away fast. But I want to build a 2X4 table habitat on wheels and need some imput, I'm a little out of practice lol. BTW she's very healthy, alert, very active and a pig for her variety greens, with shredded sweet potatoes, carrots, chrysanthemums, pansies, 2 grassland pellets moistened and crumbled over her vegges. But I'm hearing no fruits, is that true? Well...that's about it, looking forward to meeting everyone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations.
A diet change would be advised, less veggies, more weeds , and leaves and flowers of various plants. Give us a good shot of the cloaca, and we will sex it for you. Welcome back to tortoise keeping.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Carol welcome to the TFO from AZ . It's nice to meet another person that knows 1955 isn't a tire size . Have a great tort day ! .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here! ! !

carolpsalm_91

Salutations.
A diet change would be advised, less veggies, more weeds , and leaves and flowers of various plants. Give us a good shot of the cloaca, and we will sex it for you. Welcome back to tortoise keeping.

Thank you so much for the info, I have Concord grape leaves drying I can bag and possibility freeze for winter, dandelions, yellow pepper leaves?, but on the weeds I'm fearful I may be feeding her something poisonous, I have rose of Sharon leaves, plenty of grass, or does she have instincts not to eat something I may give her that's harmful? Just any kind of weeds? SC has kudzoo....it's a pesty vine that grows out of control on trees, fences, etc.etc. I do moisten grassland pellets and crumbling over her food with a micro speck of calcium with D3. I have a mixture of coconut shaving with tortoise sand in her habitat. I'll take your advice and start walking around the yard before winter takes everything away. Do they like ivy? I have tons of that that survives the winter. I was told Daisy was female though I wanted a male. Now whether this is true or not, I was told females have short stubby tails, and males tails are longer which seemed out of sorts to me.....one of those brain tweekers that I couldn't wrap my understanding around. But as soon as I figure how to take a pic of her? Cloaca, I would like to know for sure. Does it take a male for them to lay eggs......Uncle Remus in California living outdoors all year is completely different from this. Okay I'll back off the greens. More weeds, what about grass green & dry?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Grass is fine, so are grape leaves, as are rose of sharon ( leaves and flowers). Dandelions are great as should the pepper leaves. Males have long tails, females short. Females can store fertilized ova for a few years, she could also lay duds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Carol!

carolpsalm_91

Grass is fine, so are grape leaves, as are rose of sharon ( leaves and flowers). Dandelions are great as should the pepper leaves. Males have long tails, females short. Females can store fertilized ova for a few years, she could also lay duds.

Hahahaheha so he did know what he was talking about. I just couldn't believe tail length decided its gender. Boy, pie in my face on that one tehehehe well, she's a stubby!! Hey dmmj is ivy ok for her to eat?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
What type of ivy is it?

carolpsalm_91

Another reason I'm asking about the wandering jew ivy, is that I have a large beautiful bed of two different ivys (it's about the same) as the WJ ivy, partially shaded by a tree that drapes ivy. It's a perfect outdoor area for a tortoise summer habitat once I surround and enclose the area with large stones, clear out some of gone wild ivy so I can provide sand and pine needle areas with flat rocks she can climb on, and solid rock areas for shade with a little sakcrete for reinforcement for her safety. We have copperheads here abundantly....killed about 15 this summer in our yard.....baby ones. Is that something I need to worry about with her when she's outside? I can't see a snake attacking a tortoise, but hey I couldn't wrap my brain around tail length deciding gender either! So what do I know......lol thanks for your insight and sharing the fruits of wisdom, they're greatly appreciated.

carolpsalm_91

Hello Carol welcome to the TFO from AZ . It's nice to meet another person that knows 1955 isn't a tire size . Have a great tort day ! .

Blahhahehaheha that was a good one grandpa Turtle from AZ....one day years from now my grandson will carry the same name, his nic name from his daddy is turtle, I call him peepers but his name is Jaidyn. But one day he'll be grandpa Turtle, he'll get a kick out of this. But he's going to swear up and down you're his paw paw from your pic. He'll wonder why his paw paw is hiding his face. BTW I love AZ it's so beautiful, and I love Utah. Thanks for the welcome GT and still chuckling over the tire thing.