Hi! My tortoise is Daisy and I have a question regarding her hibernation.

Mary S.

Hello! Daisy is a 50 something year old desert tortoise. I have had her four years and have successfully hibernated her! I live in Northern California Bay Area. She typically goes down for her five-month nap around Halloween and gets up around the middle of March. She naps in a big plastic container with holes punched in it and lots of shredded newspaper. I put her up about one foot off the cement floor and in between the chair part of a desk in the garage. This year, however, I have moved so she is in a different spot. She is still in a garage but it's not been super cold here during the day. My question is ... I have put her away for her nap about four days ago since she has been burrowing outside and not eating, etc. I just checked on her this afternoon and her eyes are open. Should I leave her alone or take her out during the noon day sun? I'm thinking I should just leave her and she will sooner or later go to sleep. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Mary and welcome.
My tort doesn't hibernate so I'm afraid I can't help you but someone with experience of this will be along soon.
Hope Daisy is Ok and enjoys her nap when she nods off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary, and welcome to the Forum!

I have desert tortoises. (Yippee!!) My desert tortoises hibernate in the shelter in their yard. I live south of you in the central valley. The weather here is quite different from yours. So far my tortoises are still coming out every morning to sit in the sun. They aren't eating, but they aren't ready yet to go to sleep. Once I see that they are no longer coming out I will block their door.

In your tortoise's case, since he is still awake, I would put him back outside in his yard and just keep an eye on him. When he no longer comes out in the morning, that would be the time to box him up. Of course, if it's raining and cold, all bets are off. He should not be put out in the rain.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mary, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Daisy. :)