Daisy

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
:<3::<3::<3::<3:Well I am starting day 3 with my 6 month of Sulcata, Daisy. She was shipped with a bag of that turtle food. She will only eat it if nothing else is available. My husband ordered her from Tortoise Town and she was shipped from PA after almost 2 weeks of waiting due to cold weather. All I have to say, is that whoever was caring for her.... gave her a big variety of food. I think she would eat the tortoise/giant/pellet food that I moisten and mush if she was starving to death. She love GRASS, WEEDS, anything in her path. I feel like a hall monitor for a 2 year old. She is into everything. My 4 year old mildly autistic grand daughter is NO work compared to Daisy. Even Isabella says "MiMi - hurry catch her, she is running away" --- Thank God for Bella, she helps me with Daisy so much and she will be 5 in July, but is mentally 7 and verbally about 3 now. 6 months ago she was verbally 1.5 yrs old. Good schools, good parents, good family and TONS of patience! LOVE WINS!
:tort::)

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
She is inside, but we bring her outside every day that it isn’t storming in south Louisiana and watch her.. she has a small screened in chicken coup that we bought.. which we put her in while we are outside with her and can’t follow her like we need to. track my posts for pictures.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
How much does she weigh?

She is holding at a steady 2 1/4 ounces, not gaining, she eats well and poops and pees, enclosure is humid and warm, area temps are 100 on one side and 84 on other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is holding at a steady 2 1/4 ounces, not gaining, she eats well and poops and pees, enclosure is humid and warm, area temps are 100 on one side and 84 on other.
Grams are a much easier and more precise measurement for babies. I have to go do the conversion for ounces each time because I have no idea what they weigh in ounces.

The lack of growth is of great concern. Young sulcatas should be putting on steady weight, especially when they are eating a lot. 2.25 ounces is roughly 64 grams. If there is a problem, they usually stall around 50, so your case is a bit unusual. I would think that if the baby made it past 50 grams, then things should be okay and growth should continue. So its odd that growth is not continuing.

Can you weigh the baby in grams for a more precise measurement to give us a little more insight?

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Grams are a much easier and more precise measurement for babies. I have to go do the conversion for ounces each time because I have no idea what they weigh in ounces.

The lack of growth is of great concern. Young sulcatas should be putting on steady weight, especially when they are eating a lot. 2.25 ounces is roughly 64 grams. If there is a problem, they usually stall around 50, so your case is a bit unusual. I would think that if the baby made it past 50 grams, then things should be okay and growth should continue. So its odd that growth is not continuing.

Can you weigh the baby in grams for a more precise measurement to give us a little more insight?

Husband just weighed and she is 69 grams

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Husband just weighed and she is 69 grams
Re-read first post. You've had her 3 days? I would expect to see growth over the next week if the appetite stays good like this. I think you are doing everything right, so it will just take some time. I like to weigh them weekly. I always weigh mine after a soak and before the day's meal to keep it consistent. If the tortoise has reached 69 grams, I think you are going to be fine.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Daisy enjoying outside time while I’m painting some projects under patio. It’s 76 outside, she was sunning herself, ate, walked through her water and decided to take a nap! It’s the first time she napped in outdoor enclosure, so seems she is comfortable. Her shell temp in hide is 95.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Daisy enjoying outside time while I’m painting some projects under patio. It’s 76 outside, she was sunning herself, ate, walked through her water and decided to take a nap! It’s the first time she napped in outdoor enclosure, so seems she is comfortable. Her shell temp in hide is 95.

IMG_2226.jpgIMG_2227.jpgIMG_2228.jpgIMG_2229.jpgIMG_2230.jpg

It’s nice to be able to work outside and not worry about her safety and she gets to enjoy it too [emoji7]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Re-read first post. You've had her 3 days? I would expect to see growth over the next week if the appetite stays good like this. I think you are doing everything right, so it will just take some time. I like to weigh them weekly. I always weigh mine after a soak and before the day's meal to keep it consistent. If the tortoise has reached 69 grams, I think you are going to be fine.

75 grams!

Reactions: Tom

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Daisy’s thread: we had an emergency family situation where we increased our household by 4 ...temporary but we are busting at the seams. Kevin worked ALL day on 1 of his few days off to make sure Daisy was safe ... the following shows her setup under our insulated covered patio, West Baton Rouge, Louisiana... he even put in auto on/off for temps. Timing is perfect because she will be alone fore only 1 hour from time Kevin leaves for his night shift and I get home from work. I just wanted to share because we don’t have a choice at this point.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
IMG_2373.jpgIMG_2374.jpgIMG_2380.jpgIMG_2382.jpgIMG_2384.jpgIMG_2385.jpg
The temps have so far been easier to regulate under patio than in house, especially the humidity because we keep it so cold in house.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Oh and she went from a 2x3 ft to a 4 x 2.5 enclosure. My sister has a therapeutic mud bath tub that is twice that size. She is giving it to us ... so she will get a bigger enclosure within next month. We give her at least 2 hours outside roam time after work and on weekends. We are trying to do the best we can. I’m Bi-polar and OCD so I can’t sleep until I’m sure everyone and everything is ok [emoji15]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Previous enclosure... Daisy got an upgrade .., now I’m scared to go inside ... UGH.. it’s like I have a newborn baby again... scared they will stop breathing so ... hovering is inevitable [emoji20]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Previous enclosure... Daisy got an upgrade .., now I’m scared to go inside ... UGH.. it’s like I have a newborn baby again... scared they will stop breathing so ... hovering is inevitable [emoji20]
. This was when I was putting it together before we got her, so it wasn’t as pretty after reality slapped me in the face

IMG_1919.jpg

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Ugh!!! I’m still under patio with my temp gun and checking humidity!!!
It’s 10 pm.. have to be up at 5 .. I’m so worried.. so far temps and humidity are better than in the house. Freaking out, it’s going to be a long day at work Tomorrow [emoji20]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Oh and she went from a 2x3 ft to a 4 x 2.5 enclosure. My sister has a therapeutic mud bath tub that is twice that size. She is giving it to us ... so she will get a bigger enclosure within next month. We give her at least 2 hours outside roam time after work and on weekends. We are trying to do the best we can. I’m Bi-polar and OCD so I can’t sleep until I’m sure everyone and everything is ok [emoji15]

Ugh...... approximately 3 x 6 Enclosure [emoji848] the above dimensions were a typo