New with no knowledge.

Lukesigman

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Just got a red foot from Petsmart yesterday utterly unprepared. Currently in a 45 gallon plastic bin with Cypress mulch, a 100watt ceramic heat emitter and a 5.0 uvb bulb, I’ve got the heat emitter right next to the hide so she can bask under it and help keep the humidity up in the hide. I can’t seem to keep the humidity or temperature up, how do I provide more heat and humidity? Eventually want to build a 6’x3’ table with a 2’x3’ hide with upper basking area. 8E770EF1-E374-4E70-AA66-283656BC6A31.jpeg2787F118-0E29-4932-814D-7B4EAE4B7347.jpeg2B5D9032-38DD-48B4-9C96-1926F73A7A38.jpegC70A7525-9772-4F22-81BE-DED2BDF57057.jpeg2A77CCDB-6782-45BB-BD29-A7C4D23F0D6F.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Start with all the reading and info on this forum only. Forget what the store told you or any other info you may have found.
Start with that and start on a much much bigger enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

You are actually off to a pretty good start compared to most!

Here are some tips:
1. All lamps need to be hung from over head. Those clamps fail, and they can kill your tortoise or burn your whole house down.
2. Get a thermostat to control the CHE.
3. The coil type cfl UV bulbs are a no go. Some of them burn reptile eyes and they are not an effective UV source.
4. The ramped water bowls are a no go. Tortoises will flip and drown in them. Use a terra cotta plant saucer sunk in to the substrate instead.
5. You'll need a much bigger enclosure, and a closed chamber will allow you to easily maintain the correct temperature and humidity. Using a table or open topped tub is like trying to warm your house in winter with no roof on it.

We have some great RF keepers here that will guide you with the specifics, but the above is a good start for you.

Lukesigman

Washington
Hello and welcome.

You are actually off to a pretty good start compared to most!

Here are some tips:
1. All lamps need to be hung from over head. Those clamps fail, and they can kill your tortoise or burn your whole house down.
2. Get a thermostat to control the CHE.
3. The coil type cfl UV bulbs are a no go. Some of them burn reptile eyes and they are not an effective UV source.
4. The ramped water bowls are a no go. Tortoises will flip and drown in them. Use a terra cotta plant saucer sunk in to the substrate instead.
5. You'll need a much bigger enclosure, and a closed chamber will allow you to easily maintain the correct temperature and humidity. Using a table or open topped tub is like trying to warm your house in winter with no roof on it.

We have some great RF keepers here that will guide you with the specifics, but the above is a good start for you.
Any way you can link bulbs and the thermostat? What’s an ideal size for the enclosure and how do I build or buy a closed chamber that keep adequate heat, humidity, space and air

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any way you can link bulbs and the thermostat? What’s an ideal size for the enclosure and how do I build or buy a closed chamber that keep adequate heat, humidity, space and air
The thermostat pugs into the wall, and the CHE plugs into the thermostat. Easy Peasy! There are many types available. I've used this one, but there are many that will work:

A tortoise that size should be in something at least 3x6 feet. Tortoises need a lot of room to roam, but must be kept in their enclosures. Roaming on the floor will eventually lead to disaster. Large outdoor enclosure are best when the weather allows for it. You can get a closed chamber from our own @Markw84 or you can order one from Animal Plastics, or one of the many other companies making and selling them now. They aren't hermetically sealed, so the tortoise will get plenty of air flow. Sort of like your house in winter. Its all closed up, but we don't suffocate.

Here is a post on how to build your own if you are a little handy:

For UV, you will want a long florescent tube. @ZEROPILOT has done some work with a UV meter and can recommend the best one for a RF.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The thermostat pugs into the wall, and the CHE plugs into the thermostat. Easy Peasy! There are many types available. I've used this one, but there are many that will work:

A tortoise that size should be in something at least 3x6 feet. Tortoises need a lot of room to roam, but must be kept in their enclosures. Roaming on the floor will eventually lead to disaster. Large outdoor enclosure are best when the weather allows for it. You can get a closed chamber from our own @Markw84 or you can order one from Animal Plastics, or one of the many other companies making and selling them now. They aren't hermetically sealed, so the tortoise will get plenty of air flow. Sort of like your house in winter. Its all closed up, but we don't suffocate.

For UV, you will want a long florescent tube. @ZEROPILOT has done some work with a UV meter and can recommend the best one for a RF.
That's easy.
If you have the upward room, use a T5 10.0 or 12% tube. It will need to be about 20" above for a Redfoot.
If height is an issue, then a T5 5.0 or 6% will be just as good at about 10 or 12".
I reccomend a 10.0 or a 12% just because they can theoretically last longer. As they stop being as good at providing UVB they can be lowered and still be effective.
Redfoot need a level of about 3.
However, a full 12 hours of exposure is not necessary. So to make the tubes last even longer, they can be used for 6 hours a day, and some other soft light can provide light for the other 6 hours of simulated daytime.(12 hours is also fine)
You also have the option of just using outdoor time with real sunlight for a few hours a week.
Then you can go without a special supplemental light.
REPTISUN and ARCADIA are the two most common brands of T5 HO linear uvb florescent tubes and fixtures.
They are both very good. But the ARCADIA may actually be superior.
There are many types of UVB lights you'll find for sale. But please only use a T5 HO linear strip florescent. Most pet shops don't sell them. But they're easy to find online.
LLL REPTILES and BIG AL'S PETS are my sources.
There are several lengths to suite your particular enclosure.
I have a post called:
UVB REAL WORLD TEST DONE
In it I measure UVB output for a lot of popular tubes for members without access to a UV meter.
(I reccomend getting one)

Last edited:

Lukesigman

Washington

Will the zoo Med thermostat suffice? Seems to have the same features.. also is there anything against wood enclosures? I feel as of wood would be easiest to build with to make a stable and adequate enclosure.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I knew nothing at all about torts when I brought one home but luckily found this website which made everything so much easier.
The information is up to date and you'll get great advice to help your tort thrive.
Read as much as you can and ask as many questions as you like, all everyone here wants to do is to make sure your tort stays happy and healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will the zoo Med thermostat suffice? Seems to have the same features.. also is there anything against wood enclosures? I feel as of wood would be easiest to build with to make a stable and adequate enclosure.
ZooMed doesn't make a 1000 watt one, so I'd say no. Zilla makes one, but most of what you need for tortoises isn't found at reptile supply places. UV tubes and the thermostats could be the exception. Substrate, hides, bowls, and most other stuff, doesn't come from a pet store.

Wood is not good because your RF is going to need constant high humidity. Wood doesn't hold up well for that and there really isn't a good way to paint or coat it that I have found.

Lukesigman

Washington
ZooMed doesn't make a 1000 watt one, so I'd say no. Zilla makes one, but most of what you need for tortoises isn't found at reptile supply places. UV tubes and the thermostats could be the exception. Substrate, hides, bowls, and most other stuff, doesn't come from a pet store.

Wood is not good because your RF is going to need constant high humidity. Wood doesn't hold up well for that and there really isn't a good way to paint or coat it that I have found.
What’s the need for 1,000 watt thermostat? I haven’t seen any CHE or lamp rated that high.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What’s the need for 1,000 watt thermostat? I haven’t seen any CHE or lamp rated that high.
That's the most common size. Having one rated for more than you need is a good way to go. No one makes a decent one rated for less wattage than that.

And some day, you may wish to run a 700 watt mini radiant oil heater in an outdoor night box with it.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Your redfoot is pretty!

And some day, you may wish to run a 700 watt mini radiant oil heater in an outdoor night box with it.

Also, things made for the pet industry tend to be unreliable. I use a Vivosun thermostat, it was about $20 (and apparently also rated for 1000 - today I learn!).

If you can't do a major upgrade right away, the easiest tweak would be to get an indoor greenhouse tent to place over the tub. You can hang the lights from the center bars on the inside. I'm not sure what brand is good, but if you browse through the enclosures/redfoot sections, you'll see some examples. Once your tub is enclosed, you may only need a 75 watt CHE, and your humidity will hold much better. The tub really is kind of small for a yearling though, so it might be best to upgrade ASAP.

If you can return the cardboard-sticky temp gauges, digital gauges are better. With a digital gauge, you see immediate changes to humidity, which is very useful when you're trying to figure out a new enclosure. I've had to peel several unfortunate snakes off of those sticky gauges, I'm worried that they could stick to a tort's soft bits.

As Tom brought up, it'd be best to return the water bowl too (assuming you just bought it). A terracotta saucer will be much cheaper too! They are a good shape for clumsy lazy tortoises - here's an old pic of my cherryhead demonstrating. It's really rewarding to see them in the water with all of their limbs splayed out in full relax mode.

stankyleg.png

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and some pics of your new buddy :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would suggest that when you find a thermostat that you like, make sure that it has plug ins for at least 2 devices. That way, once you build your new enclosure, if you need 2 CHE's, you can run both of them off the same t'stat.

Lukesigman

Washington
Your redfoot is pretty!

Also, things made for the pet industry tend to be unreliable. I use a Vivosun thermostat, it was about $20 (and apparently also rated for 1000 - today I learn!).

If you can't do a major upgrade right away, the easiest tweak would be to get an indoor greenhouse tent to place over the tub. You can hang the lights from the center bars on the inside. I'm not sure what brand is good, but if you browse through the enclosures/redfoot sections, you'll see some examples. Once your tub is enclosed, you may only need a 75 watt CHE, and your humidity will hold much better. The tub really is kind of small for a yearling though, so it might be best to upgrade ASAP.

If you can return the cardboard-sticky temp gauges, digital gauges are better. With a digital gauge, you see immediate changes to humidity, which is very useful when you're trying to figure out a new enclosure. I've had to peel several unfortunate snakes off of those sticky gauges, I'm worried that they could stick to a tort's soft bits.

As Tom brought up, it'd be best to return the water bowl too (assuming you just bought it). A terracotta saucer will be much cheaper too! They are a good shape for clumsy lazy tortoises - here's an old pic of my cherryhead demonstrating. It's really rewarding to see them in the water with all of their limbs splayed out in full relax mode.

View attachment 321435

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and some pics of your new buddy :)
7C6AA3B9-C9A3-4FB6-9721-30E4DA268808.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I think you'll find it much easier to get the humidity up if you pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate then mix it up with you hand to get it all incorporated. The lights quickly dry out the top layer, which is what you want, but leave it quite moist underneath. The evaporating water will increase the humidity.

Buy another tub like the one you have, cut out opposing ends, and put them together, making one long tub. Cut out holes in the lid for the light and CHE so you don't have to use that unreliable clamp feature, and line the edges of the holes with kitchen foil. You don't want the light/CHE resting on the lid/foil, but you can buy adjustible light stands mfg'd by Zoo Med, like these:

light stand f.jpg

(I like the stand with a bigger 'foot'.)

Lukesigman

Washington
Modified the tub enclosure as best as I can until I can get material to build a 6’x3’ enclosure. Temps are around 80 at night and around 90 throughout the day but I can’t seem to get the humidity past 50% any ideas?
1579E730-AC81-4750-A489-566355F15C89.jpeg7C0432CA-40C4-4FCF-8046-9C93FFF94F4A.jpeg82F91616-6A30-457F-B42A-D88FDB3A2DC6.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
As long as you don't keep opening the lid, it should do ok.

Did you pour a pitcher of water into the substrate and mix it up good with your hand? Try using warm water...that really helps.

Lukesigman

Washington
As long as you don't keep opening the lid, it should do ok.

Did you pour a pitcher of water into the substrate and mix it up good with your hand? Try using warm water...that really helps.
I did mix in a good amount of water, last I checked temp was 85 and around 65% humidity so it’s definitely going in the right direction. Could anyone give me some sort of help on red foot diet? What should they eat? How often and how much? So far I’ve tried romaine, strawberries and the tortoise food pellets moistened with water and of course the only luck was the strawberries.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did you get a copy of the care sheet? Diet should be covered. Here it is in case...