Red foot questions

Mikael

5 Year Member
1. I have him in a tortoise table with a ceramic heat emitter in the back built in hiding area. The humidity in the back humid hide stays around 65 and temps around 85 and in the normal area it is a bit less my substrate is organic soil with peat moss mix with spaghnum moss on top. How do I raise humidity.

2. In my soil I had perlite couldn't find any without. As I see it I am picking It out. How will it affect my tort?

3 in the "normal roaming area" what do you guys use to keep up heat in there a basking bulb or a ceramic heat emitter.

4. What do you recommend for air humidity 80+ or 70+ Thanks.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I don't know about perlite, but is your tortoise table closed? Open top tortoise tables don't seem to hold humidity in as well. I bought a shower curtain for the top of mine.

I actually have two lights - a CHE and a basking light. The basking light needs to be turned on during the day. Redfoots don't really enjoy a lot of light so I switch out the basking light with the CHE at night to keep it dark so they can sleep.

Humidity for a Redfoot should be around 80-90%. Temps should be mid 80's.

Here is a link to a helpful site:

https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/species-information/chelonoidis

Mikael

5 Year Member
I don't know about perlite, but is your tortoise table closed? Open top tortoise tables don't seem to hold humidity in as well. I bought a shower curtain for the top of mine.

I actually have two lights - a CHE and a basking light. The basking light needs to be turned on during the day. Redfoots don't really enjoy a lot of light so I switch out the basking light with the CHE at night to keep it dark so they can sleep.

Humidity for a Redfoot should be around 80-90%. Temps should be mid 80's.

Here is a link to a helpful site:

https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/species-information/chelonoidis
Is it ok if the hot hide is around 85 and the air temps are around 75 is this okay or shouldi buy a basking bulb

Mikael

5 Year Member
Oh and if the humid hide is around 70 and air humidity is around 65

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would try to boost them up, it really effects their activity level. Maybe you should try bulbs with a higher wattage? How many watts do you have now?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Oh and I'm getting a UVB 5.0 tube

i use mid 80s temps and humidity 80%-90% but because i'm using a closed chamber my humidity almost never drops below 80% and seems to stay at 85-86% even at night time just remember with high humidity you can't let the enclosure drop below 80s even at night as with high humidity that will trigger a respiratory infection or shell rot

perlite if swallowed will impact your tort maybe even poison them i'm not 100% sure if its poisonious

during the day to keep a ambient temp of 84-85 i have 150w CHE set on a thermostat and the normal basking bulb you just have to remember if you are using a closed chamber you really MUST have thermostat it helps keep on a steady temp and insures that your tort doesn't get baked alive

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Perlite isn't Styrofoam. It's a volcanic rock...........
Perlite is a generic term for a naturally occurring siliceous rock. The distinguishing feature that sets perlite apart from other volcanic glasses is that when heated,it expands from four to twenty times its original volume,while retaining the same weight. Perlite is prized for its moisture retention and aeration properties in the horticulture industry. It has a neutral PH and when used in conjunction with vermiculite - a great base for rooting cuttings. Although there is no known toxicity levels if ingested (other than the fear of impaction) , the perlite dust can aggravate lungs and eyes. I would NOT use it as a suitable medium in an enclosure.
JD~

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Perlite isn't Styrofoam. It's a volcanic rock...........
Perlite is a generic term for a naturally occurring siliceous rock. The distinguishing feature that sets perlite apart from other volcanic glasses is that when heated,it expands from four to twenty times its original volume,while retaining the same weight. Perlite is prized for its moisture retention and aeration properties in the horticulture industry. It has a neutral PH and when used in conjunction with vermiculite - a great base for rooting cuttings. Although there is no known toxicity levels if ingested (other than the fear of impaction) , the perlite dust can aggravate lungs and eyes. I would NOT use it as a suitable medium in an enclosure.
JD~

trust N2TORTS i swear he's the godfather of redfoots lol

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well David .....I wouldn't say that as there are many more experienced breeders who I have met and learned from within this forum . I can say I learn from everyone's post as this can be simply put as "hands on experience". You can't get the variables that do take place from around the world with just printed information in a book.....But thank you for the Kuddo's.....my friend~ :D
Back to the Perlite info ..... I do use it mixed with vermiculite as a medium when incubating my eggs. As the Perlite provides aeration thru-out the substrate ( to prevent molds), while the vermiculite retains the moisture.

JD~:)

Mikael

5 Year Member
i use mid 80s temps and humidity 80%-90% but because i'm using a closed chamber my humidity almost never drops below 80% and seems to stay at 85-86% even at night time just remember with high humidity you can't let the enclosure drop below 80s even at night as with high humidity that will trigger a respiratory infection or shell rot

perlite if swallowed will impact your tort maybe even poison them i'm not 100% sure if its poisonious

during the day to keep a ambient temp of 84-85 i have 150w CHE set on a thermostat and the normal basking bulb you just have to remember if you are using a closed chamber you really MUST have thermostat it helps keep on a steady temp and insures that your tort doesn't get baked alive
How do you cover your tortoise table or is it already covered and I have a 60 watt CHE should I get another for the open area or should I get another basking bulb

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
How do you cover your tortoise table or is it already covered and I have a 60 watt CHE should I get another for the open area or should I get another basking bulb

my enclosure is big enough for my lights to fit inside and be covered with plastic the CHE all depends on you current temps but i would say 60w is a little small. if you have a basking lamp already i would just get another CHE redfoots HATE bright lights so the best way to provide heat is unseen

Mikael

5 Year Member
my enclosure is big enough for my lights to fit inside and be covered with plastic the CHE all depends on you current temps but i would say 60w is a little small. if you have a basking lamp already i would just get another CHE redfoots HATE bright lights so the best way to provide heat is unseen
So my CHE keeps the temps at around 85 in the closed hide should I get a 100watt or a 150 watt and put the 60 in the open area?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
So my CHE keeps the temps at around 85 in the closed hide should I get a 100watt or a 150 watt and put the 60 in the open area?

what do you mean by open area some pictures would help alot if you could. if the 60w keeps the closed chamber at 85 the the closed chamber is fine what is the Open area's temps? and do you already using a basking lamp in the open area?

Mikael

5 Year Member
what do you mean by open area some pictures would help alot if you could. if the 60w keeps the closed chamber at 85 the the closed chamber is fine what is the Open area's temps? and do you already using a basking lamp in the open area?
No basking lamp and I'll post a pic of my cage no light other tan a UVB