New tortoise

Davidhunter581

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495029325.790976.jpg

I have set up my tortoise enclosure. Using a tortoise soil substrate I bought from pets at home and have also got orchid bark. I have a uv/basking light combo that I got with the table I bought. I've put a hide in and (out of picture) he has a sleeping area that's fully enclosed. The table is 3x5ft I'm going to get a bigger one as he grows.
Should I add/remove anything. He loves climbing on his log so I moved it away from the wall. He has a water dish and cuttlebone too. Not sure about humidity I live in Scotland it's always wet :L but I give him a bath every few days. And constant access to fresh water. Thanks

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hello and welcome :)

It's looking good.

Can you show us pics of you're lights? From your description I'm betting it's a UVA light.

Your tort will need UVB and also night heating.

Davidhunter581

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495037452.111839.jpg

this one, was told it was all I needed and to turn the lights off at night to simulate nature :S

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That my man is a basking bulb with o my uva. You will need a uvb bulb as well or lots of outdoors time so your tort can get that uvb naturally from the sun. No uvb will result in your tort getting MBD (metabolic bone disease)

Night heat is important so your tortoise doesn't get sick. Being dark at night is important too so that why we use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). It cranks out heat without any light.

A proper set up with have a basking bulb, uvb bulb and a Che. Place the lights on a cheap $5 timer from a hardware store so the lights go on and off at the same time each day on a 12-14hr cycle depending on what time of year it is. Then get yourself a reptile thermostat for that Che so it can come on and off as needed to make sure your tort is always at the correct temps.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That my man is a basking bulb with o my uva. You will need a uvb bulb as well or lots of outdoors time so your tort can get that uvb naturally from the sun. No uvb will result in your tort getting MBD (metabolic bone disease)
You're incorrect. That bulb is an MVB that gives off both UVB and basking heat. It's fine.

Just be aware that the UVB output drops off long before the bulb blows, typically after 6-9 months, and you cannot tell without a UV Meter. They need replacing regularly.

Night heat is important so your tortoise doesn't get sick. Being dark at night is important too so that why we use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). It cranks out heat without any light.
A CHE is great for night heat and for keeping the ambient warm enough. It must be used with a thermostat to ensure that it cuts out and doesn't cook your tortoise. It's no good in open enclosures. The enclosure needs to be covered.

You cannot regulate temperatures or humidity properly in an open enclosure

Davidhunter581

I was told as long as the night temp was not less than 15oc and I keep him indoors so it's always above that even at night. Plus he burrows in his enclosed area so that would keep the temp up over night for him? I'll look into the heating though. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was told as long as the night temp was not less than 15oc and I keep him indoors so it's always above that even at night. Plus he burrows in his enclosed area so that would keep the temp up over night for him? I'll look into the heating though. Thanks.

Full grown Russians are ok with a temperature drop to room temperature at night. But down to 59F is too cool. I assume "room temperature" means no cooler than 70F degrees.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have a very young Russian that needs warmer temperatures day and night than an older animal.

It also needs higher humidity

I suggest you read the TFO care guides if you haven't already

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Davidhunter581

i was told he was coming up for 2yrs old in June from the tortoise shop. They seem to have won a lot of awards and seem very reputable it's why I shopped with them. But he is very small. His basking temp is 33oc during the day, the lights turn on at 7am and off at 8pm but he usually goes to bed at 7pm, And buries himself in his enclosed area, but he's very very active and spends all day roaming around and climbing on his log. I live in Scotland so the weather is rubbish and I've not had him outside yet. But when we get our one week of summer I'll let him in the garden. We've built a frame to keep him in but he'll be supervised as I live in the country and we have a lot of foxes and big birds so I'm not comfortable with him being outside. But he's kept near the window so a lot of sun light hits his cage and he basks in that a lot and ignores his basking lamp. :L

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Maturity goes by size rather than age and he still looks pretty small.

Outside he will chill quickly. So short stays only. You might find my guide to outdoor accommodation in the UK helpful
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Basking must be 35-37C /95-100F. 33C is not warm enough.

Your basking lamp needs to hang down vertically and temperature underneath it is most accurately measured using a temperature gun type thermometer like this

Davidhunter581

When setting up a CHE do you just hang it like the basking lamp? I'm looking on amazon and see thermometer set up, but the lamps seem to screw onto the tables :S and have a heat cover. :/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need a Ceramic Lamp Holder, the bit that screws in must not be plastic, for a CHE as they get very hot.

They just hang like the basking lamp