Help with viv\table?

Alexhanlon1992

i bought my first tortoise a horse field. I made the same mistake lots of people have on here and bought it from a pet shop in a viv. After doing the research on the web I've realised tortoise tables are the better option. I asked the pet shop owner why he sells them in a viv and he said it is because he would go in to hibernation if he got to to cold on a table.

His shell is 2 inches long.. The pet shop guy said because he is small he would be to cold on a table at night. I live in northeast England the house is central heated but is quite a cold house. I've had two different pet shops tell me he is two small to be on a table.

Would my little guy be safe on a tortoise table? I've looked at loads of different ways people have there tables, I would just have to turn the viv on its back and remove the glass?

I really could do with some help I feel I've been misguided..

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
i bought my first tortoise a horse field. I made the same mistake lots of people have on here and bought it from a pet shop in a viv. After doing the research on the web I've realised tortoise tables are the better option. I asked the pet shop owner why he sells them in a viv and he said it is because he would go in to hibernation if he got to to cold on a table.

His shell is 2 inches long.. The pet shop guy said because he is small he would be to cold on a table at night. I live in northeast England the house is central heated but is quite a cold house. I've had two different pet shops tell me he is two small to be on a table.

Would my little guy be safe on a tortoise table? I've looked at loads of different ways people have there tables, I would just have to turn the viv on its back and remove the glass?

I really could do with some help I feel I've been misguided..

Hi, welcome to the forum.

First, I do not know much about this species, but if the tortoise table you are giving it is indoors, what I know is that indoor enclosures will need heat lamp and uv. Also are you planning to keep it indoors when it is full grown or giving him an outdoor enclosure? If you are keeping him on the tortoise table then I think you would want it to be big enough for when he grows. Not sure what the min enclosure size is, but good luck with him. Currently does he have an enclosure?

You can go to the russian tortoise section : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Vivariums are better for babies. In your case the shop owner is steering you right. The internet is full of old, outdated, incorrect information. Vivs are actually better for all the reasons "they" say they are bad. They make it easier to provide warm temps and some moderate humidity, which is what your baby needs.

Please read the care sheet linked above and this one too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Vivariums are better for babies. In your case the shop owner is steering you right. The internet is full of old, outdated, incorrect information. Vivs are actually better for all the reasons "they" say they are bad. They make it easier to provide warm temps and some moderate humidity, which is what your baby needs.

Please read the care sheet linked above and this one too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

What enclosure do hatchlings need? My tort's first egg will be put into the incubator on the 20th december, so I am not sure whether it is fertile yet. Can you help me check my incubator setup?

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/homes-hingeback-eggs.132175/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
What substrate are you using? Make sure that you don't use sand. You could use coco coir, cypress mulch, etc. If I am not mistaken, all species of babies need a humid hide too. Are your enclosure temps and humidity right for him? Also as Tom mentioned in his care sheet, they need 3-4" of substrate to dig. I use coco peat for my outdoor enclosure. Is the water dish too steep for him and has he ever flipped when going in or out of it?

@Tom do they need plant shade too? Just curious, I am also learning...

Alexhanlon1992

Sand and top soil mix. Ive got the log hut thing with moss inside of it. Top soil on one end I've put flat rocks around the bowl now. Thinking about changing it to one of them terracotta plant dishes.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Sand and top soil mix. Ive got the log hut thing with moss inside of it. Top soil on one end I've put flat rocks around the bowl now. Thinking about changing it to one of them terracotta plant dishes.
Should be about right, I guess. Just make sure that the hide is more moist then the enclosure and the enclosure temps and humidity is suitable for him. Don't know about babies, but for adults you would not want them to see through the glass, they will try to get through it and will probably stress them out.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
I think you should provide it with more shade too, babies like to hide because in the wild they are very easy preys, and you have humid hides so that their shell will grow smoother.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Defiantly change the water bowl for a plant saucer. They are much better and safer.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
You slide the glass to open and close? You do not need to cover the glass fully, but maybe you could cut a piece of plank or some plywood and put it leaning against the glass from the inside. Plastic could also do, just use opaque materials. Are you planning to let him stay in the vivarium forever or transfer him to a table or outdoor enclosure when he grows?

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Maybe you could also use opaque tape to tape the glass, I found that online just now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's actually a very good set up for a small russian! You are doing great so far!

However, I am the king of nit-picking, and I always have ways for improving things. I would:
1. Use damp coco coir for the substrate.
2. Get terra cotta plant saucers and sink them into the substrate for food and water.
3. Get a digital thermometer/hygrometer with a remote probe so you can check temps and humidity all over the enclosure.
4. Use an opaque tub of some sort to make a humid hide. Flip it upside down, cut out a door hole and dampen the substrate under it.
5. I don't know what is in the lighting hood, but you need a basking bulb. If that is a ceramic heating element. I would keep it and set it on a timer AND a thermostat so that it warms up your ambient during the day, but stays off at night. I like to use 65 watt flood bulbs for basking. Adjust the height of the fixture to get the basking temp directly under the bulb up to around 95-100F (35-37C).
6. I would soak that little guy every day for about two weeks, and then cut it back to every other day for a few months. As he gains size, you can taper it off to once or twice a week if you see him drinking on his own.