New tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

5 Year Member
I have bought a new tortoise today- he is a one year old Herman. He is in a four foot open top vivarium, on one side of the tank I have a 150w heat lamp controlled by a Habistat and a uv light. I have read so much conflicting information about timings for the lights and basking lamp, and I would appreciate any advice or guidance on keeping my tortoise but more especially information about basking lamp and light timings, also optimum day/night temperatures. I have tried to find this information in the threads but I got a bit lost with it all.
Thank you in advance for your help

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
As long as your not using a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) for heating you can use a thermostat on the light. If you are using a MVB you can't use a thermostat on the bulb. Your lights should be on 12 to 16 hours a day and the heat lamp can go off an hour sooner than your other light.
Temperatures should be 32 to 34C under the basking lamp, 28 to 30C on the warm end, 22 to 24C on the cool end and night time temperatures around 15C. :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angel:

368748bjmd3zee6e.gif

to the forum!!

Angel

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the welcome and the information!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Angel welcome to the forum do you have a name for your new addition yet?

Angel

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Hi Angel welcome to the forum do you have a name for your new addition yet?

Hello!! Yes his name is Henry.

Just a question:- some sites say you can feed torties Budlia and Fuschia, is this right? and what part do they eat?

Thank you for being so welcoming!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The whole plant on both of them are fine to feed your tortoise :)

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Congrats on the tort. You have great advice already on the temperatures and times.

Angel

5 Year Member
Angel said:
I have bought a new tortoise today- he is a one year old Herman. He is in a four foot open top vivarium, on one side of the tank I have a 150w heat lamp controlled by a Habistat and a uv light. I have read so much conflicting information about timings for the lights and basking lamp, and I would appreciate any advice or guidance on keeping my tortoise but more especially information about basking lamp and light timings, also optimum day/night temperatures. I have tried to find this information in the threads but I got a bit lost with it all.
Thank you in advance for your help

Hello again!

I wonder if you could help me out again. My little Hermann (Henry) seems to wipe his eyes with his forelegs very often and I am worried that he may be irritated by them. The substrate in his vivarium is made of 3 types of stones, some 1-2mm (looks like thick sand) and the other 2 types are slightly bigger. This is what the reptile store recommended for Henry. Could this be the problem?

Thank you for your help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angel:

Here's a link to a good care sheet for Hermann's tortoises. He recommends using aspen bedding for substrate:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-1000.html

And you're probably right about the eyes and the substrate. Besides being very dry and dusty, what you are using might be ingested and cause a blockage.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Welcome Angel.

If you see the substrate actually sticking to the tortoises eyes and mouth the substrate could be the culprit. If that is not the case than as Ynonne said it could be general dryness and/or dust. Remember that a 150watt light bulb, even in a large enclosure, will dry things out quickly with the heat that it is producing. It is also a good idea to know what the ambient temperature and humidity levels are in other parts of the enclosure away from the light and the room that your tortoise is in since they can both affect the tortoise and the conditions within the enclosure.

Hermann's and other Northern Mediterranean tortoises require a a semi moist soil in at least part of their enclosure and constant or frequent access to water in order to stay well hydrated. This is especially true of young tortoises. I also mist my tortoise's enclosures twice daily because the room that mine are in gets drier than I would like it to.

Angel

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for your help!! :)

GBtortoises said:
Welcome Angel.

If you see the substrate actually sticking to the tortoises eyes and mouth the substrate could be the culprit. If that is not the case than as Ynonne said it could be general dryness and/or dust. Remember that a 150watt light bulb, even in a large enclosure, will dry things out quickly with the heat that it is producing. It is also a good idea to know what the ambient temperature and humidity levels are in other parts of the enclosure away from the light and the room that your tortoise is in since they can both affect the tortoise and the conditions within the enclosure.

Hermann's and other Northern Mediterranean tortoises require a a semi moist soil in at least part of their enclosure and constant or frequent access to water in order to stay well hydrated. This is especially true of young tortoises. I also mist my tortoise's enclosures twice daily because the room that mine are in gets drier than I would like it to.

Thank you for this advice- I do leave a lot of water in the tank for him and I ensure he drinks it daily but I had not thought of misting the tank, that does sound like a useful idea. Thank you for replying to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.