New Tortoise mom to be

Tortoisemomtobe23

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
I am going to pick up my two new babies in two weeks and I want to be fully prepared for them. Any suggestions and advice for me? I am in Florida. The weather is between 70 and 85 degrees

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am going to pick up my two new babies in two weeks and I want to be fully prepared for them. Any suggestions and advice for me? I am in Florida. The weather is between 70 and 85 degrees
What species are you getting? Are they hatchlings or adults? Where are you getting them?

Tortoises should never be housed in pairs, so either get more than two, or just one. Or make two separate enclosures.

The weather doesn't matter for babies since they need to be housed in controlled conditions indoors until they get some size on them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please read as much info on this forum as possible. Seems you already got some bad info with you wanting to get two. Like Tom said, tortoises should not be housed in pairs and they don't want or need a friend.
Also get the enclosure up and running correctly now before you bring it home.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, what kind of tortoises are you getting?

Tortoisemomtobe23

Orlando, FL
What species are you getting? Are they hatchlings or adults? Where are you getting them?

Tortoises should never be housed in pairs, so either get more than two, or just one. Or make two separate enclosures.

The weather doesn't matter for babies since they need to be housed in controlled conditions indoors until they get some size on them.
I am getting two tortoise houses.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am getting two tortoise houses.
The commercially available "Tortoise Houses" are not suitable housing for any species at any size. They are all wrong for tortoises. Read read read the linked threads BEFORE you make all the common mistakes and spend tons of money on the wrong stuff.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
The commercially available "Tortoise Houses" are not suitable housing for any species at any size. They are all wrong for tortoises. Read read read the linked threads BEFORE you make all the common mistakes and spend tons of money on the wrong stuff.
If giving that advice actually works for you, I'd love to know your secret. I have the hardest time convincing people of that. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If giving that advice actually works for you, I'd love to know your secret. I have the hardest time convincing people of that. ;)
I've been pleasantly surprised by how many people hear my words nowadays. There will always be skeptics. I am a skeptic myself. I think we have provided enough evidence here in our worldwide community that our info is credible to most of the people who read it. Within a few days of joining and reading, most people can see pretty clearly what is happening out in the world and here with regard to tortoise care and the myriad myths that come with it. For those people who don't or won't hear it, well, their tortoises will suffer for it, and they will eventually learn the hard way as I, and so many other keepers, had to learn before there was TFO.

If this poster carries on with the tortoise houses, she will see the pyramiding and slow growth that you and I already know will happen. After that awful damage is done, she will then wish she had listened to begin with, as so many have over the years. People have the choice to learn from the mistakes and results of other people who have already been down this road, or to go down that same road and learn the same lessons on their own. I'd rather learn from others mistakes and do it right the first time, when that option is available to me. I can lead a horse to water...