soon to be new mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheilaamistone1974

5 Year Member
my name is sheila. I live in Utah. I am owned by 8 ferrets, 4 dogs, 2 cats, red tail boa baby, pot bellied pig, crested gecko, bearded dragon, whites tree frog, crocodile gecko and a soon to be mom to a baby sulcata tortoise. i go pick him or her up this weekend. it is only 2 1/2 - 3 inch diameter. i am excited for the new family member. i do have 1 question. at what age or size is a tortoises still classified a hatchling until. that is the one question i cant seem to find an answere to. i know on my ferret forum, everyone demands pictures. i am guessing it is the same here. so i will get some pictures for everyone at some point next wk.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sheila:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

A hatchling is from hatch to 1 year, then its a yearling, after that its a juvenile until about 5 or 6 years then a sub-adult. By that time you usually don't care anymore and its just the tortoise.

Incidentally, you measure tortoises in a straight line front to back.

sheilaamistone1974

5 Year Member
yvonne: did not know that you measure tortoises front to back. when i get him/her (decided on the name Pokey), i will measure propperly, and let everyone else know the proper size.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! You sure have a wide variety going. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D You are correct, we love pics. Wouldn't mind one of the pot belly either. I used to have one. Lived in the house, potty trained. Her name was Bacon. She loved playing with my dogs. That was many years ago.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Wow 8 ferrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.