New tortoise hatchling owner

Nmcgowan

Leopard hatchling humidity should be an average of at least 80%.

Yes, I have also heard and read this as well. I said 40%-60% because that was what my local exotic vet told me. I also keep a large humid hide myself and that is always between 70%-100%. :)

Kevin Kaz

After I put the foil on. Humidity is at 70% but doesn't seem to go much higher than that. My room is the most humid room in the house too! I already have a 50 gallon aquatic turtle tank and a 40 gallon breeder fish tank. But seems like he is being more active with it on! I was only soaking the moss at first. Should I move the water dish closer to under the light instead of the food dish? I really soak the substrate under my hiding area this morning too! But he seems more active now since I put the foil on! Also thanks for the compliment for my little Farooq!

Kevin Kaz

You can try to just scrub it with a wet toothbrush. If that does't work cover it with a piece of wet paper towel for a while to loon it up.
Thanks tom. The warm water and gently scrubbing him worked perfect!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
If you build more of a greenhouse cover n put the lights inside, it will go higher. This is what I did with my tables.
0401161659.jpg

Kevin Kaz

You can just build that over your existing enclosue. I doesn't have to be a bigger foot print.
Still not enough room. If I didn't have my aquatic turtles, I would be able to do it there. But otherwise I have no room anywhere.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1460303924.539609.jpghi Kevin, and welcome from Texas, mine is 40 gal fish tank covered with reptile terrarium screen. I have a whole thread on that. My babies were about 1.5-2inches on arrival last June. They are 3-3.5 inches now and will be year old at the end of May. I think 36 inches long enclosure would be way to small for a 6 inch juvenile tort. Unless you have outdoor enclosure for daytime and the tort will only use it for sleeping at night. That's kinda what I plan on doing starting this summer. 40 gal tank has been perfect for keeping them warm and humid their first year, now time to work on the tort garden:) The tank will serve as nice warm/very humid bedroom during transition, then when fully grown they'll live in my tortoise garden full time. Your baby tort is gorgeous! I read/heard that babies with split/extra scutes are more likely to be females :)

Kevin Kaz

You can just build that over your existing enclosue. I doesn't have to be a bigger foot print.
Do you think I should take out the little divider since he doesn't use that side to sleep or anything like that.
View attachment 169942hi Kevin, and welcome from Texas, mine is 40 gal fish tank covered with reptile terrarium screen. I have a whole thread on that. My babies were about 1.5-2inches on arrival last June. They are 3-3.5 inches now and will be year old at the end of May. I think 36 inches long enclosure would be way to small for a 6 inch juvenile tort. Unless you have outdoor enclosure for daytime and the tort will only use it for sleeping at night. That's kinda what I plan on doing starting this summer. 40 gal tank has been perfect for keeping them warm and humid their first year, now time to work on the tort garden:) The tank will serve as nice warm/very humid bedroom during transition, then when fully grown they'll live in my tortoise garden full time. Your baby tort is gorgeous! I read/heard that babies with split/extra scutes are more likely to be females :)

So it looks like I need to change her name. I requested a male. Maybe Francine lol. Eventually when they outgrow the temporarily house, I'm going to Astro turf my floor if I'm still living with my parents if I don't own my own house. I'm looking to buy in the next 2 yrs. When I have my own house, they'll probably their own room or half the basement.

Kevin Kaz

I soak at about 95F to start and let it get no cooler than 80F. He has a very unique pattern. If you want his shell to grow smooth and healthy, you are going to have to figure out a way to cover that enclosure, and trap the heat and humidity in.
So I found some greenhouse liner, but I currently just have it resting over top like the picture below. I checked the humidity levels and it at 80-85%. Is that correct?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 8

Nmcgowan

I can't really tell from the picture...is you light sitting on top of the plastic? If that is your uvb bulb then the plastic is going to block out the uvb rays that your little one needs.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The humidity is great, but as stated above the plastic will filter the UVB. Can you make a tent with it to get the light inside?

Kevin Kaz

The humidity is great, but as stated above the plastic will filter the UVB. Can you make a tent with it to get the light inside?
I can't really tell from the picture...is you light sitting on top of the plastic? If that is your uvb bulb then the plastic is going to block out the uvb rays that your little one needs.
It's only till tomorrow. My dad and I are building an 18" extension framed with the plastic around it and light inside. I'll post a picture when finished.

Kevin Kaz

Here is my new official 1st Closed Chambers Habitat!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10