New tortoise hatchling owner

Kevin Kaz

I'm a new tortoise owner in general. I have a leopard hatchling. I've had aquatic turtles. I just want to make sure the things I'm doing for him is right. I have a tortoise house with dimensions 36x24x12". It said that is good until 6" in size. How long before he outgrows it? For my substrate I have cypress mulch with Coconut coir fiber and spaghnum moss. I have a moist moss area as well as a dry area with moss is opposite corners. My I have a saucer water dish which I change about twice sometimes 3x a day. The temperature avg around 85-90 degrees with 100W UVB bulb. At night it seems to drop to 75-80 with a 75 watt red infrared heat bulb. Humidity seems it's ranges between 40-60%. I have 2 food dishes 1 I keep with greens from a spring mix, other has orchard grass hay. I have the white repti calicum which I put on twice a week. I have hiding log with a closed off spot for shelter. I also read they are not tortoises that dig their own burrows which he dug under the 1 food dish and under the moist moss. Is that normal? I soak him twice a week. It seems like he is healthy, goes in the water and drinks and eats about 5-6 big leaves a day. But it seems like he sleeps a lot. A couple times I thought he was dead because he was out for 12+ hrs. Is that normal for him to sleep that much? Should I be concerned? How often should I take him out and let him like walk around on me, get him to watch tv with me, etc. to bond? I talked to him everyday calling his name. I know other tortoises can learn to answer to their name. How long before he will respond to his name? Please get back me. Thank you!

Nmcgowan

Hello! Please post pictures of your new little one and its new habitat. For hatchlings, it's good to warm soak them every day for 20-30 mins.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. The care sheet posted above will help you identify a few adjustments you need to make. Come back with any questions you have. Glad to have you here.

Kevin Kaz

Hello! Please post pictures of your new little one and its new habitat. For hatchlings, it's good to warm soak them every day for 20-30 mins.

Here is the habitat. The moss right under the lamp is the moist moss. That is where my little Farooq is hanging out and always sleeps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

Kevin Kaz

Also... Can you give me an avg temp of water I should have him in during his soaks?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I soak at about 95F to start and let it get no cooler than 80F. He has a very unique pattern. If you want his shell to grow smooth and healthy, you are going to have to figure out a way to cover that enclosure, and trap the heat and humidity in.

Kevin Kaz

Thanks for the tips! He has a unique pattern? What makes it unique compared to others? As you can tell, I'm a little wet behind the ears with this.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He has irregular or split scutes. Here is a pic of a babies with regular scutes. The pattern inside changes, but the number down the center and each side.0407161647.jpg
This is how the scutes usually split.
0408161649a.jpg
1217151713a.jpg
Yours has like an extra row. Looks cool.

Kevin Kaz

He has irregular or split scutes. Here is a pic of a babies with regular scutes. The pattern inside changes, but the number down the center and each side.View attachment 169866
This is how the scutes usually split.
View attachment 169867
View attachment 169868
Yours has like an extra row. Looks cool.
I have another question, on the shell he came with a dirt build up on the one Scutes. Is it safe to use a soft bristle toothbrush and gently try to get it off?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have another question, on the shell he came with a dirt build up on the one Scutes. Is it safe to use a soft bristle toothbrush and gently try to get it off?

That is fine, but do it after the tortoise has been soaking for a while.

Kevin Kaz

Thank you Tom! Also I have looked through other posts on here. I love all the info you give!

Kevin Kaz

That is fine, but do it after the tortoise has been soaking for a while.
Also the dirt is at the almost top of the pyramid where I don't fill the water that high up since it will go above his head. How would I be able to clean it best since I can't fully soak him? You see it in the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also the dirt is at the almost top of the pyramid where I don't fill the water that high up since it will go above his head. How would I be able to clean it best since I can't fully soak him? You see it in the picture.

You can try to just scrub it with a wet toothbrush. If that does't work cover it with a piece of wet paper towel for a while to loon it up.

Nmcgowan

Oooh! He is so cute. I agree with all the posts above! As previously stated: you should try to cover up the top to help keep humidity in. I believe the general consensus is that these guys should have around 40-60% humidity at all times. A cheap way to do this would be to use saran wrap on the outer edges and tinfoil around the light. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Oooh! He is so cute. I agree with all the posts above! As previously stated: you should try to cover up the top to help keep humidity in. I believe the general consensus is that these guys should have around 40-60% humidity at all times. A cheap way to do this would be to use saran wrap on the outer edges and tinfoil around the light. :)
Leopard hatchling humidity should be an average of at least 80%.

Kevin Kaz

Leopard hatchling humidity should be an average of at least 80%.
I read last night that closing up the habitat would be good for my little and keep up humidity. This is on of the ideas I seen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26