aaron55

Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield,CA
I am a new owner of a little guy named Elvis. I have noticed my leopard hatchling Elvis doesn’t drink the water he soaks in. Is this normal?

I have noticed that when we take him outside on the grass he eats plenty of clovers and clover flowers(which I have read are good for him), and he also loves to eat a weed that grows around here called speedwell. I can not find any good evidence that speedwell is either good or bad for him. Is there a definite answer? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know how you could tell if the tortoise is drinking during the soak or not. I put mine in the tub and then go about my business. Do you watch the entire time? Either way, it doesn't matter. Soaks help in many ways, beyond just drinking.

I don't know the speedwell weed, but I wouldn't let the tortoise have access to any plant that you aren't 100% sure of. Outside on the grass, sounds like your tortoise is loose and not in an enclosure. If this is the case, you are making a mistake doing that. It almost always result in a lost or dead tortoise. Make a safe enclosure for outdoors, if you don't already have one.

Have you seen these:

aaron55

Bakersfield,CA
I don't know how you could tell if the tortoise is drinking during the soak or not. I put mine in the tub and then go about my business. Do you watch the entire time? Either way, it doesn't matter. Soaks help in many ways, beyond just drinking.

I don't know the speedwell weed, but I wouldn't let the tortoise have access to any plant that you aren't 100% sure of. Outside on the grass, sounds like your tortoise is loose and not in an enclosure. If this is the case, you are making a mistake doing that. It almost always result in a lost or dead tortoise. Make a safe enclosure for outdoors, if you don't already have one.

Have you seen these:
I guess that answers my question! I wasn’t sure what him drinking even looked like, he doesn’t really stick his head under water. I soak him when he wakes up in the morning and then when I get home from work I place him outside. Once outside time is over then I let him soak again. Soaking time is about 25-30 minutes.

I do place him outside on the grass, we have a small flower bed with brick walls on all four sides that the grass grows in. Would this not be a safe environment for him to be in during his outside time? If I am not sure of that weed growing in the grass do you think I should just pull all the grass out and place him in dirt only? I want him to have the best possible life and he seems to love being outside and eating grass.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I guess that answers my question! I wasn’t sure what him drinking even looked like, he doesn’t really stick his head under water. I soak him when he wakes up in the morning and then when I get home from work I place him outside. Once outside time is over then I let him soak again. Soaking time is about 25-30 minutes.

I do place him outside on the grass, we have a small flower bed with brick walls on all four sides that the grass grows in. Would this not be a safe environment for him to be in during his outside time? If I am not sure of that weed growing in the grass do you think I should just pull all the grass out and place him in dirt only? I want him to have the best possible life and he seems to love being outside and eating grass.
If all four sides are bricked, then it sound like you have an "enclosure". Pos a pic? Is there shade?

Outside and eating grass is excellent, but you have to make sure that whatever he's grazing on is safe. I just looked it up and everything safe that speedwell is safe and non-toxic, IF you've correctly identified it.

aaron55

Bakersfield,CA
If all four sides are bricked, then it sound like you have an "enclosure". Pos a pic? Is there shade?

Outside and eating grass is excellent, but you have to make sure that whatever he's grazing on is safe. I just looked it up and everything safe that speedwell is safe and non-toxic, IF you've correctly identified it.
I’m not able to post a pic, my camera on my phone is broken and I’m getting it fixed this week. There is not any shade on the flower bed. Should there be if he is only outside for about 1-2 hours? Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate the help! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m not able to post a pic, my camera on my phone is broken and I’m getting it fixed this week. There is not any shade on the flower bed. Should there be if he is only outside for about 1-2 hours? Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate the help! :)
Absolutely! They must ALWAYS have shade available. They can over heat and die in minutes even on an 80 degree day. Watch the temperature very closely when your little one is outside. Put a digital thermometer in the hide areas where he hags out. Leave a thermometer sitting in the sun and watch what happens to it.