New Tort Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
There's nothing quite like saving 50% on a Redfoot!

I picked him up during petco's black friday sale. He was a little cold after being ousted by a 6-7" inch Redfoot who was hogging the heat mat, but after a ride home sitting on Toasty toes and a warm soak he's perking right up. I haven't done any measurements, but he's a good weight and looks to be right 4". He has some pyramiding, but I was expecting it.

I was told they'd been there for about a month. I was actually surprised because their diet was actually pretty spot on, but the humidity and ambient heat weren't great.

Pics to follow soon!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yayyy! Congrats! Pictures, pictures! I would also get a fecal done to check for parasites! I bet he is happy to have his own heat lamp now!! :D

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Here we go! I believe he may have some very slight shell rot. I will post pictures later to confirm :)

52dijs.jpg

bg2sk2.jpg

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks for the compliments :)

His name is either going to be Harper (boy) or Magpie (girl). Both are silly inside references my girlfriend and I have :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
He's really beautiful, and has no great pyramiding to speak of. A load of humidity and some good eats will fix him right up. Great find and congrats!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I was actually pretty glad that the Petco employee seemed to know reptiles pretty well. She talked about how she used to raise iguanas and had been given a red and green one recently only to find out that they were a breeding couple. Now she's reading up on how to take care of iggy babies.

More posts to come soon! Probably tomorrow though :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Glad you went and got one. I was thinking about it but I knew if I went down there I would buy one. Thats the only good thing about black friday is half off on torts. Thats the only shopping Im really gonna enjoy

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks all. Right now I'm having a slight problem getting his eyes open. I actually had the same problem yesterday when I first got there. As soon as he gets some water on him they open up fine but it's like they sorta glue shut when he's had them closed for a while. Thoughts? I'm going to continue the daily warm soaks and give him vitamin A rich foods to see if that helps. Would Terramycin be the next step if the problem doesn't correct itself?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Give the warm soaks, higher humidity, better heat, etc. several days to help. If it does not at that time, a bit of antibiotic eye ointment would be the next logical step.

Another thing to consider is boosting the moisture level of foods. Soak greens in cold water for about 15 minutes before using or storing them, mist foods just before serving (which can simulate dew), etc.

Vitamin A is rarely an issue with tortoises- box turtles are the big concerns here. They have a very specific vitamin A dosage that is a bit tricky. A bit of occasional multivitamin will usually take care of any A issues you might have.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks for the continued advice Madkins. I'm already doing most of what you say but a little reminder doesn't hurt :)

His stool is also a little worrisome. Yesterday he did several light brown pellet-shaped droppings, but today during his soak his droppings were pretty loose, but I can't be sure if they're diarrhea because I didn't see him go (he could've walked over them and broken them up). At any rate, the light brown pellets are nothing like Darwin's Dark Brown/Green solid poops that I'm used to. I'll be adding some timothy hay for fiber for future feedings.

Also, here is the plastron. Am I correct that the white spots on the lower right are shell rot?

eisi0i.jpg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Those look like small areas of rot forming, yes. I had similar regions on my two cherryheads, these tortoises seem pretty sensitive to rots. I put an antifungal clotrimazole ointment on for ~9 days and it cleared up. Lightly scrub it with some povidone iodine the first day or two as well prior to putting the anti-fungal cream on.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
First treatment of povidone was applied a few hours ago! He squirmed a lot so I tried to make it quick so he wouldn't get stressed out.

In other news, we decided to name him Harper no matter what since it works for both sexes. I just hope his issues clear up!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He is sure a cutie. Hope you can get him up to 100%. Good luck!!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Day 3: Eyes still have trouble opening by themselves. Today I'm feeding him a wet slurry of various greens, veggies, and timothy hay in order to help hydrate him and give him a good dose of nutrition. Afterwards is a forced electrolytic soak followed by a second swabbing of povidone iodone and a few hours in the recovery ward. After that I'm leaving him alone for the rest of the day so that he can relax and de-stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.