New to tort life

Arlenetorturtle

I have had box turtles off and on for 30 years, recently rescued first torts , Russian male, George and red foot, Ruby, also got a sacota,sheila,who died

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

I hope you understand that each of these species requires its own habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Hope we can help the other two.

Arlenetorturtle

Yes I'm known from family and friends as the turtle lady. Yeah getting old, getting a mate russian for my birthday, considered getting sulcatas but I'm getting old and the can live to 100!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello & welcome
Looking at your pictures, i do not believe you have a russian. Looks like a greek maybe? Im not good at identifying between the greeks and hermann without googling. Could you possibly take close up pictures of George as well as a plastron shot?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello & welcome
Looking at your pictures, i do not believe you have a russian. Looks like a greek maybe? Im not good at identifying between the greeks and hermann without googling. Could you possibly take close up pictures of George as well as a plastron shot?
I agree. I'm not sure about that 'Russian' either.

If you get a mate - it needs to be roughly the same size and kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months. In the longer term, it will need to be kept separately and introduced only to mate as pairs fight.

A group of 3 or more - 1 male the rest female - may work in a very large outdoor enclosure, but there are no guarantees so you shouldn't get more than you can accommodate separately.

As for the Sulcata, the torts you have will probably outlive you anyway. So it's only one more!