New to the tortoise world

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Not sure if anyone’s said so already, but your tortoises need to be separated. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. They are solitary animals, cannot make friends, and being with another tortoise is immensely stressful. Here are three good links :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Welcome to the forum! If you don’t mind me asking, what part of east Texas are you from?? Fellow East Texan here! Congratulations!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
The light in the hood is only a plant light. It’s not very bright.. I use the CHE and the mercury vapor bulbs inside the aquarium for the Babies. I am manually swapping them out right now for day and night but I have a timer and another fixture due on the mail.. I . I have been constantly tweaking according to Toms care sheet.. I am going to get this right!!! Lol . I really appreciate everyone steering me in the right direction..

Attachments

• 5709FCA4-9017-4817-9A10-C9CFF0A36407.png
    5709FCA4-9017-4817-9A10-C9CFF0A36407.png
    917.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BE300566-8F16-4668-9F50-53229AB47EAA.jpeg
    BE300566-8F16-4668-9F50-53229AB47EAA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Not sure if anyone’s said so already, but your tortoises need to be separated. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. They are solitary animals, cannot make friends, and being with another tortoise is immensely stressful. Here are three good links :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
They did and I’m putting together another enclosure already. I have found that ordering is much cheaper than buying in store.. thanks!!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Welcome to the forum! If you don’t mind me asking, what part of east Texas are you from?? Fellow East Texan here! Congratulations!
Thanks!!! I’m in Marshall! My brother used to live in Paris but he moved to Arkansas about 15 yrs ago. Looked at a horse over there about 1 year ago... It’s grown a lot over the years..

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am not sure about the 2 in1 light. There are many members here that are better informed. Maybe @TechnoCheese or @Tom can chime in. Sounds like you are devoted. I have Opo out on the screen porch. When he is out of the hold walking around Opo has figured out what door the food comes from. Opo will walk back and forth using his front leg to scratch the door wanting food. It is crazy how smart they are. Keep up the good work!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That’s pretty awesome! I believe most animals are smarter than people give them credit for and learn as much as you take the time to teach. They all have individual personalities too... What made you decide to be a tortoise parent?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
When I was a kid I always had turtles. I had a tortoise also. But we are talking the 60's and I thought a shoebox and some grass was fine and I also lived in Michigan. Needless to say it wasn't successful. After a car accident in 2015 and ending up a double amputee and spending 2 years in medical facilities. When I got home last yr I decided to get Opo. Now that I live in Florida and have the means to care for Opo. Opo has been great therapy for me giving me a reason to get up in the morning. Opo has been a blessing.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thank you for sharing that! Animals have always been my therapy. I’m only 36 but my pets are and always have been for life. I had a weenie dog that I rescued and bottle fed when I was 14.. it was a rough time in my life and he became my first child. He was 7 when my daughter was born.He lived to be sixteen:) i have many pets and have spent a lot of years rescuing and rehabilitating wildlife successfully as well.. ( hence the EllieMae nickname)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you for sharing that! Animals have always been my therapy. I’m only 36 but my pets are and always have been for life. I had a weenie dog that I rescued and bottle fed when I was 14.. it was a rough time in my life and he became my first child. He was 7 when my daughter was born.He lived to be sixteen:) i have many pets and have spent a lot of years rescuing and rehabilitating wildlife successfully as well.. ( hence the EllieMae nickname)
Lol took me a minute but I got it. Beverly Hillbillies

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Lol... I used to empty all the turtles out of Daddy’s catfish nets before he checked them so he wouldn’t kill them. I even built a turtle pen to keep them safe.. thought I was doing all the good until momma found them (all 76) and turned them back loose in the lake. Daddy was pretty hot at both of us They gave been calling me Ellie May ever since..

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Welcome and congrats on your eagerness to learn how to properly care for your sulcata! I have a 6 yo sulcata named Samson and I also live in east Texas, cedar creek lake area! This forum is great and the reason I have a smooth and healthy tort! Read all you can, especially the care sheets, and best of luck to you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
And good for you for taking in everything available to you here.
We have keepers from all over the world with the latest and best care information. Learned over decades of raising tortoises and a dedication to better keeping and care.
You have purchased two tortoises that can not be housed together. Will get larger than most people truly realize and need very large enclosures and high humidity when young.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I thank y’all so much for the welcomes, support, and care! It means a lot after the weeks of researching with such varied results.. when I bought the two Sulcatas, I was very unaware of the solo factor.. but then I got on this forum and became a believer pretty quick.. my “guys” are separated during the day outside. And they are like speed racers too!! They are still in the same enclosure night time and early morning but I have set them up different hides and feed in two different areas as well. I ordered all the equipment to set up my second enclosure already and should be able to get that done today or tomorrow I hope! I promise that y’all will see healthy results and longevity here!