Hi I’m new

S1ugbug

Location (City and/or State)
Harrington, Delaware
Hello, I am new to the forum and looking to get a tortoise in the near future. I am located in Delaware. I have had multiple species of reptiles including turtles. As well as multiple other animals. I am interested in a larger tortoise such as Sulcata’s or Aldabra’s. Any information is greatly appreciated. I have already read some on this forum.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Here are some great threads to get started, if you haven't already read them.

S1ugbug

Harrington, Delaware
Welcome to the forum! Here are some great threads to get started, if you haven't already read them.

Thanks. I have read the first one multiple times, but had not seen the other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am new to the forum and looking to get a tortoise in the near future. I am located in Delaware. I have had multiple species of reptiles including turtles. As well as multiple other animals. I am interested in a larger tortoise such as Sulcata’s or Aldabra’s. Any information is greatly appreciated. I have already read some on this forum.
Hello and welcome. Start here:

Do you have an insulated 50x50 foot building that you can keep the floor no lower than 80 degrees, along with a some way to safely heat another basking area up to 95ish degrees, so the tortoise can warm up above the ambient 80? If yes, and this is no problem for you, then proceed with your hearts desire to get a tropical giant. For most people, this just isn't practical or feasible, and a smaller, more easily managed species is a better way to go.

Sulcatas can survive anywhere that allows them lots of space and warm sunshine year round. Indoors in a basement or barn stall all winter is not good for them, even if temps can be kept up. They need space, and it has to be warm.

Aldabras have the added complication of needing constant high humidity, and even more space. Adults need at least a half acre of warm humid space to roam around in. Outside of South Florida, this is exceedingly difficult to provide.

S1ugbug

Harrington, Delaware
Hello and welcome. Start here:

Do you have an insulated 50x50 foot building that you can keep the floor no lower than 80 degrees, along with a some way to safely heat another basking area up to 95ish degrees, so the tortoise can warm up above the ambient 80? If yes, and this is no problem for you, then proceed with your hearts desire to get a tropical giant. For most people, this just isn't practical or feasible, and a smaller, more easily managed species is a better way to go.

Sulcatas can survive anywhere that allows them lots of space and warm sunshine year round. Indoors in a basement or barn stall all winter is not good for them, even if temps can be kept up. They need space, and it has to be warm.

Aldabras have the added complication of needing constant high humidity, and even more space. Adults need at least a half acre of warm humid space to roam around in. Outside of South Florida, this is exceedingly difficult to provide.
That size building is not an issue and I have plenty of acreage that is or can be pasture on our farm. My humidity is similar to that of the islands they are from. Thank you for the linked page and the information. Is there anyone you would recommend getting one of these species from?