New to the Tortoise world

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcoronaangel

5 Year Member
Our new addition for now is named "Ninja."

We are located in Orange County - Southern California.

We found Ninja today - or I should say one of my German Shepherds brought Ninja to me during one of our walks. My boyfriend having owned huge adult Sulcata's was able to give me some helpful hints. I am waiting to see if anyone puts up signs for a missing Sulcata.

I visited our local Reptile store called "Prehistoric Pets"; it is a zoo and pet store which is famous in this area of Socal. I started to read Tom's links he recommended someone else read and I am honestly a little confused... I was told to use only rabbit pellets for a substrate so I went and purchased 35.00 worth of pellets today. PP is not only a "exotic pet store" but also a sanctuary/small zoo so I guess I am getting conflicting information which I guess is to be expected. They were so very busy with showing their animals to kids no one had a lot of time to spend with me to recommend supplies etc so I am finding the links very helpful.

I am still reading the links and I am sure I will have questions but thanks for the links! My BF had 2 Sulcata's and we were planning on getting another so Ninja had a buddy but after reading the links I believe we have decided against that.

Attachments

• 318013_10151232284529150_1547345919_n.jpg
    318013_10151232284529150_1547345919_n.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 60

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:D Ohhh I love that face!! Hi and welcome! Glad you found the little guy. The world is a hard place for a little one to be out on his own. The rabbit pellets are bad because they don't give proper traction, but also because they are dry and if they get wet they mold. The sulcata needs moisture in his life, thus pellets are not good.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..just love that face...lol...yes, pellets are not a good choice for bedding. They will mold easily. Baby sulcatas need humidity. You can also go to tortoiselibrary.com and look up some info there...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) Unfortunately, most pet stores and yes, most zoos do not properly care for their tortoises, let alone most of the other inhabitants they care for. Your best advice will be found on this forum. Long time keepers, that have learned the hard way, that the old way is for the most part incorrect.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi xcoronaangel and welcome to the Forum!!

Does your username mean you used to live in Corona? Or that you used to...er...imbibe a bit?

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Hello and welcome! I have only been a member about 4 or 5 days myself. The people here have taught me so much! It's a great place. I too found my Sulcata. Well I guy was gonna let it go in a ditch and I rescued it. Good luck with him.

xcoronaangel

5 Year Member
LOL I graduated from Corona Del Mar HS years and years ago :) I used the username since HS easiest thing for me to remember

emysemys said:
Hi xcoronaangel and welcome to the Forum!!

Does your username mean you used to live in Corona? Or that you used to...er...imbibe a bit?

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Hello! Welcome to the forum :D Nice little guy youve got there. I was planning to visit Prehistoric Pets next time I find my way to Orange County. Is it worth it? Oh and ya dont use the pellets. Coco Coir all the way!

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Welcome XD you are in good hands here loads of information.

On one hand I wish I could be lucky enough to find a tort walking around the cost are extreamly high her in canada :p but on the other this would mean someone had abanded it there for not good. Good luck and never be shy to upload pictures XD

Status
Not open for further replies.