New to the Forum!

crappypirate

5 Year Member
Hello!

My name is Amber and I have had so much fun reading all the posts from everyone! Many adorable photos and helpful suggestions that helped me improved my tortoise care skills.
I have two 16" Sulcatas that roam my backyard and their names are Benny and Danny. They're wonderful poop machines!
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with helpful tips and information for traveling with or shipping two somewhat large tortoises as I have moved. Anything would help, such as what kind of crates or kennel, what airline shipping service, preparation and etc.

Thank you!
Amber

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Amber and a belated "Welcome" to the Forum!

I think your best bet for large tortoises would be the air shipping like Delta Dash. The shippers have their own ideas on what kind of crates/containers you need to use, so you'll have to call around.

Where have you moved to and from? Is there a chance you can drive the tortoises in your car? That would be the best way, in my opinion.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Amber where are you moving to and from ? Have a great tort day .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Welcome to the forum!

crappypirate

5 Year Member
Thank you for the welcomes!
The move is from California to Ohio, I had actually moved three months ago. Benny and Danny are still in California with my family because I didn't want to move them to a foreign place during the bitter Ohio winter where I wasn't prepared. Now that the weather is heating up and their enclosure underway, I'm looking forward to be reunited with them. Or if all else fails, I'll have my brother drive them hahaha. I understand that Ohio is not the best place to raise tortoises, especially ones require outdoor enclosures, but ultimately, they're my responsibilities and I intend to do the best I can to help them through the winters to come.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good wishes to ship them and have fun build them a new year round enclosure. Please do show us the photo when it done.

yillt

Welcome to TFO. could we see a photo of your 'somewhat' large tortoise?

crappypirate

5 Year Member
Of course! I'll post some photos when it's done.

Here they are. These photos are from last year.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399384797.751745.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399384821.051000.jpg

This is Benny, he likes mud pits.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399385225.850643.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399385253.834319.jpg

This is Danny, he's slightly smaller.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399385290.634121.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399385314.268217.jpg

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello Amber and Welcome to TFO :) your sullys are really smooth.... keep up the good work :)

crappypirate

5 Year Member
Hi Amber and a belated "Welcome" to the Forum!

I think your best bet for large tortoises would be the air shipping like Delta Dash. The shippers have their own ideas on what kind of crates/containers you need to use, so you'll have to call around.

Where have you moved to and from? Is there a chance you can drive the tortoises in your car? That would be the best way, in my opinion.

Thank you Yvonne for the suggestion, I will look into Delta Dash for shipping.